Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Non-boaty car battery question.

Daughter coming back from her travels and getting her car back on the road. A small petrol engined VW Fox with a 550A battery, 60Ah. Battery less than a year old with a 5 yr warranty but flat as a pancake. Read less than 4volts on the multimeter.... It started the car a month ago. Anyhow the MOT is tomorrow and I need to drive it there and back. IF the charger fails to do a reconditioning charge on the Fox battery could I temporarily put in a battery from my son's petrol Yaris. This is a smaller battery, 40 Ah 370A .Or is there a problem? Thanks for any knowledgeable answers, I only go so far on electrics.
    (Longer term there may be an issue with the proper battery for the Fox and that is something she can sort out with access to all the warranty paperwork, I'll have done my bit if I get it through the MOT and out of the front garden).

Default Re: Non-boaty car battery question.

Smaller battery will either have the CCA to start the Fox or it won’t. If it does, it will be fine.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

If these are modern cars, less than say 10 years old, you may get warnings and errors flagged up if you change the battery.
    Leaving the battery to go flat, not using the car for a month is not a warranty issue, it's self inflicted.
    Is it stop-start?
    Modern cars complicate everything, they are not all the same, so reading the manual may be a start.
    Some cars it's important to charge the battery and/or jump start from the dedicated connections under the bonnet, not direct to the battery.

Fox is 9 years old, yaris very old.......
    The warranty is only significant because it stops me buying a new battery. Yes cars like being used and batteries like being kept fully charged.
    Not sure what you mean by "Is it stop start"?

Quote Originally Posted by FairweatherDave View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "Is it stop start"?
    Does the car irritatingly stop the engine automatically when you put it in neutral, and restart it slightly too slowly when the traffic-light goes green, in order to eke out a fraction more fuel-efficiency in government tests?

If so, it might have a more advanced battery system to cope with all the starts.

Pete

The yaris battery will do temporary if you need it, but make sure it is properly clamped when going to mot. The battery may charge up ok, especially since it is not that old. Modern cars will drain the battery after a few weeks, you could buy a solar panel that plugs into cigarette socket if you have to leave car for extended period.

Quote Originally Posted by FairweatherDave View Post
    Daughter coming back from her travels and getting her car back on the road. A small petrol engined VW Fox with a 550A battery, 60Ah. Battery less than a year old with a 5 yr warranty but flat as a pancake. Read less than 4volts on the multimeter.... It started the car a month ago. Anyhow the MOT is tomorrow and I need to drive it there and back. IF the charger fails to do a reconditioning charge on the Fox battery could I temporarily put in a battery from my son's petrol Yaris. This is a smaller battery, 40 Ah 370A .Or is there a problem? Thanks for any knowledgeable answers, I only go so far on electrics.
    (Longer term there may be an issue with the proper battery for the Fox and that is something she can sort out with access to all the warranty paperwork, I'll have done my bit if I get it through the MOT and out of the front garden).
    With the cars you describe, stick it on and try, if it starts (which it should) it will be fine. Make sure (as suggested) that the battery is secure or it will fail the MOT.

Unless something was left on, i would not expect the battery on that car to go flat in a month.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Leaving the battery to go flat, not using the car for a month is not a warranty issue, it's self inflicted.
    Dear oh dear, you do come out with some nonsense at times.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Thanks Pete. I was thinking it was maybe some kind of intermittent fault
    They are both modern cars really, but the Fox battery access is a pain in the ****, Yais is a doddle.
    Hoping the warrantied battery will make a full recovery, but I am mystified how it can go from starting the car fine to reading such a low voltage in what seems like three weeks. I'm sure no lights were left on or whatever.
    And thanks Paul, that is reassuring.

Have you been regularly starting the car each month? But then turning off when started ie not leaving the engine running long enough to put back in what starting has just taken out as doing this a few times will gradually flatten the battery, to a point where it will self discharge.
    Another could be something has been left on eg boot interior light as this cannot be seen. This will easily flatten the battery

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast