Default Insurance for bareboat charter

I'm renting a boat for a week in Lorient, France. Contract asks for a big security deposit (against my credit card) and asks me to accept all liability for damage to the boat.
    I would not take my own boat out under those conditions - I would insure it. And with a deductible a lot less than several thousand EUR.

I haven't chartered in a while - what is the best way to deal with this to make sure I don't end up paying thousands if I screw up? Or if someone else does a nasty hit-and-run while I'm away from the boat?

Do I arrange insurance myself or do I get coverage from the owner's policy?

Thanks.

Default Re: Insurance for bareboat charter

There are lots of companies offering charter insurances. Just google "yacht charter insurance" and compare results to the insurance offered by the charter company.

https://www.pantaenius.com/de-en/ins...per-liability/

Though my own attitude is "be careful", assuming you have the competence to do so. Ins Cos make money by covering risk. Why not keep it for yourself?
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    https://www.pantaenius.com/de-en/ins...per-liability/

Though my own attitude is "be careful", assuming you have the competence to do so. Ins Cos make money by covering risk. Why not keep it for yourself?
    Because no matter how competent you are other idiots can hit you especially is crowded charter waters. We took out Pantaenius insurance last year and one through LateSail the previous year.

Quote Originally Posted by E39mad View Post
    Because no matter how competent you are other idiots can hit you especially is crowded charter waters. We took out Pantaenius insurance last year and one through LateSail the previous year.
    In which circumstances you claim off the other party's insurance / assets. Not that I'm complaining about peeps being over-insured: I'm sure the vast majority of boats superglued to the pontoon help keep my premiums to very reasonable levels. It is noticable how premiums rocket for no perceivable increase in risk once you head further afield. Presumably because the 4-weekends-a year mob never go very far.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 18-06-19 at 17:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    In which circumstances you claim off the other party's insurance / assets. Not that I'm complaining about peeps being over-insured: I'm sure the vast majority of boats superglued to the pontoon help keep my premiums to very reasonable levels. It is noticable how premiums rocket for no perceivable increase in risk once you head further afield. Presumably because the 4-weekends-a year mob never go very far.
    Firstly you are assuming that they have insurance and secondly what happens they hit you when you are ashore and they move on. I for one am happy to pay about £150 or share of to protect a £2000 deposit and lots of potential hassle.

Firstly you are assuming that they have insurance and secondly what happens they hit you when you are ashore and they move on. I for one am happy to pay about £150 or share of to protect a £2000 deposit and lots of potential hassle.
    That's my thinking. I'm also thinking that I doubt I have ever done anything in my life without making mistakes. I'd like to think that I don't make mistakes very often, and when I do I get away with it 99% of the time. Insurance is for events that have a small risk of happening but a high consequence if they do happen.

And they are asking for EUR 5,000 so it is not negligible.

No assumption on 3rd party being insured, hence claim on "assets" reference. I'll 'fess up to having a bee in my bonnet over the insurance obsession de nos jours. The idea that an insurance claim avoids potential hassle is pretty fanciful, IME. Still, each to their own.