Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default If you were going to mount a small wind generator on a two inch stainless pole...

... which one would you choose?

To explain, the two inch pole was fitted, very securely, by the former owners to take a Satcom C terminal.

I donít want a Satcom C, but I would not mind a few more amps, and there isnít really much room for solar panels. It doesnít have to be a lot of amps as I have a towed generator anyway, but a few amps at anchor would be useful. A smaller diameter rotor (top of pole is 8 ft off the deck!) and not too much noise, if possible...

Default Re: If you were going to mount a small wind generator on a two inch stainless pole...

Not the question you asked I know, so apologies, but I went through all this with a small wind generator. Some (all?) need bearings from time to time, they're a bit dangerous to crew, go mad when there's a gale and generally behave like teenagers. I fitted a small 60w solar panel to the pushpit instead with posh Scandanavian alloy brackets that swivel and take off easily. Same wiring. Cheaper, constant power during the day, fit and forget, silent, no worries with high wind.

Default Re: If you were going to mount a small wind generator on a two inch stainless pole...

I'm afraid I hate the things too. If you need extra power, solar might be a better choice (and it'd certainly be quieter!).

PS Welcome back!

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Thanks to both of you and I’m starting to get the picture...

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Thanks to both of you and I’m starting to get the picture...
    + several for fitting solar instead. Must be room for a small panel ?
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

The Aerogens were very good and obviously will produce power when a solar panel won't. They are almost silent in a working breeze and very robust. Perfect for a swinging mooring, hopeless in a marina.
    Going down the secondhand route is not ideal though, unless you can unearth a lightly used example

I have a Rutland 914i. It's on a pole of about 2" diameter. It produces enough power to keep the boat going continuously (though in practice I've only ever sailed continuously for about 4-5 days). I used to have the smaller model, but it didn't make enough power. If I'd had solar panels, I'd have flat batteries. Just back from 5 weeks away and only about 3 days of any sun to make electrickery from solar panels.
    Geoff. C.: Galvanizing and anchor manufacturing.

I have to say I initially fell into the wind turbine camp and fitted an Air X now superseded I believe with the structure well braced and insulated via a rubber pad from the deck the only noise was from the blades which I understand you can get ones that are less noisy now although I never found the noise disturbing. It produced prodigious quantities of electricity in even moderate winds so I would probably fit one again for a boat that was going to spend time in the north.
    Later I fitted a large solar panel, 200W on a gantry which was quite effective, I always had a nagging doubt about windage though it survived a couple of days of 40Knt winds without damage to it or its mounting.
    If at all possible I would fit both and if I was staying in UK waters or those north I would prioritise a good wind turbine but they don't come cheap. The air X was fine and I had no problems with it although people did report problems.

Quote Originally Posted by MM5AHO View Post
    I have a Rutland 914i. It's on a pole of about 2" diameter. It produces enough power to keep the boat going continuously (though in practice I've only ever sailed continuously for about 4-5 days). I used to have the smaller model, but it didn't make enough power. If I'd had solar panels, I'd have flat batteries. Just back from 5 weeks away and only about 3 days of any sun to make electrickery from solar panels.
    Manual for 913 says:
    Mounting pole outside diameter MUST NOT exceed 48.5mm for at least the top 0.5m.

A 2" diam. pole would be too thick and OP would need to check exact diameter. Blades may hit the pole in high winds if diameter is more than 48.5mm.

I'd be interested in more detail on "enough power to keep the boat going continuously". i.e. Location, time of year and average daily consumption. My own experience with the 913 is that it averaged about 10Ah/day in Scottish waters and only 7-8Ah/day in France, Spain and Portugal during sailing season. Of course there are odd days with high output (max. ~140Ah/day) but many, many more with nil or very low output.

Even a modest solar panel should outperform a 913 and even give significant output on cloudy days. I know that 914i has slightly higher output but it won't compete with solar.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    + several for fitting solar instead. Must be room for a small panel ?
    Even sticking a small panel on top of the shortened pole would bea cost effective method of increasing average output during the sailing season, assuming no other space left. However, a wind-gen can be useful for odd very windy very cloudy days if OP discovers one at a really low price (say £50-£75).
    Last edited by Mistroma; 17-06-19 at 21:10.

I have solar and 913.
    WG is useless when running down wind, when you have good anchoring conditions there isn't enough wind to drive the WG.
    In your position, I would fit a solar to the top of your pole. Then you can rotate and angle it to the sun.
    The disadvantage of solar is that it doesn't work at night whereas a WG does, given enough wind. The downside is that it can keep you awake!
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast