Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 strand splice

Default 3 strand splice

Hi,
    I am trying to do 3 strand splice, but most of online resources are not that great. Is there an easy rule to follow? What I understand is after securing loop, what I really need to do, is to keep turning and tucking ropes under 'fresh' rope following '1 up, tuck under' rule, but if someone could explain it easily or give me good resource, I will be helpful.
    I am doing this since I need to get mooring rope quite soon...

Default Re: 3 strand splice

I agree about online stuff mostly. My recurring problem is where does the 3rd strand go.
    I've got lots of heat shrink tube. I use 3 different colours on the ends of the strands which firstly prevents unravelling and secondly helps keep tabs on the sequence of tucks.

Start with the middle strand, then follow with the other two - one in front, one behind.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

The important thing is that all three strands must enter in line abreast with each other at the same point lengthways.

Tuck the top one, then the one to its right, then turn the splice upside down and tuck the third one.

Practising splicing, and whipping, is what a sailors should be doing when they are not sailing, not posting their voyages on Facebook.

I normally fix the centre strand, then the one to the right, and finally the one to the left. The last requires a slight backwards move but once you've done it a couple of times it becomes easy. Sealing the ends somehow is of course essential, as noted. Much of the skill is in getting the loops snug and the whole splice nice and tight. It is necessary to give each strand a twist before tucking it through in order to keep its original twist and thus strength.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post

I normally fix the centre strand, then the one to the right, and finally the one to the left. The last requires a slight backwards move but once you've done it a couple of times it becomes easy. Sealing the ends somehow is of course essential, as noted. Much of the skill is in getting the loops snug and the whole splice nice and tight. It is necessary to give each strand a twist before tucking it through in order to keep its original twist and thus strength.
    So after fixing initial first 3 strands, when I would keep rotating loop, it would look essentially the same?

Quote Originally Posted by slawosz View Post
    So after fixing initial first 3 strands, when I would keep rotating loop, it would look essentially the same?
    You're getting there, as you practice you will get a feel about how it looks and feels, when you have finished it should feel neat and even. It's hard to describe but remember: if it looks right, it usually is right - but not always.
    Also: when you have tucked your strands thru, remember to give them a little tug back so that you keep the whole thing nice and taught, you don't want a loose splice.
    Lastly: to finish your splice taper down the ends of the strands so they 'sit or lie' neatly. Good luck.

Once you get the first 3 strands in the right place it's easy to just carry on. get one of them wrong and it just won't be right. For a nice tapered splice you can stagger where you finish each strand. i.e. one strand has 4 tucks one 5 and one 6 or however many you want.

Quote Originally Posted by slawosz View Post
    Yes Getting the first three tucks correct is the key.

"Animated Knots" by Grog is another excellent site for knot tying and splicing etc https://www.animatedknots.com/
    Last edited by VicS; 18-06-19 at 13:13.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast