Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Given up smoking....

It's nearly 20years since I gave up. I had smoked 40 to 60 a day for years. I had also given up many times. I can't stand the smell of smoke now, but I also know that I could very easily end up smoking again.

As others have said. Once a smoker always a smoker. You may have stopped, you may no longer be smoking, but you are a long way from being an ex-smoker yet. Congratulations on what you have done so far but in my experience the hardest part is the second 6 months. It's at that stage that the temptation to have "just one" is at it's greatest.

Stick with it!

i'll endorse joe's comments 100%. i gave up 20 years ago after smoking 40+ a day. it was a good 5 years before i considered myself a non-smoker rather than an ex-smoker. the first time i gave up i reckoned i'd cracked it after 6 months and thought i'd be ok having the odd one in the pub etc. big mistake- in a fortnight i was back up to 40 a day.

next time around i ran out on my way home from work and didn't stop to buy any more but just stopped.

i haven't wanted one for a good 10 years but strangely i still occasionally dream that i've started again!
    One hull good, two hulls better.

Very familiar tales...

I believe it was Mark Twain who said "Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times."
    Paul Lomax
    Internet Technology Manager
    IPC Country and Leisure Media

charon is offline Registered User

Well done! Watch the craving doesn't sneak up on you in stressfull times.
    I stopped in 1982 (60 a day and a pipe) and bought a house with what I saved. Mind you, it took me about 3 months to stop screaming. Stick with it.

Godfrey

Congratulations. Plan your next cruise to Ireland, a smoke free heaven.

Congratulations.. but as said above you can be "hi-jacked" by the Nicotine at any point in the future.. personally am looking forward to our total ban in public places..

Was at a Tsunami benefit after Hogmanay which was most of the day and evening.. got very smokey in there, next day I was hacking like a chain smoker.. worst of it was I found the best thing to tame the hacking was a rollie.. but I've stopped again.

Well done, be proud. I gave up 4 years ago and can't stand the smell anymore
    regards
    Dave

That's the problem - whenever you get a bit of a cough, you know in the back of your mind that a fag will 'fix it'... (ie keep it down)

Oh, and after about 3 months of non-smoking, you start coughing up the **** in your lungs. And you really want to smoke to make it 'better'.
    Paul Lomax
    Internet Technology Manager
    IPC Country and Leisure Media

..and watch the booze, Stella. I gave up over 20 years ago, but if I have "one over the eight", I can still be tempted. Big mistake...wake up next morning with a mouth like an old ashtray. Not worth it, believe me.

Sue
    Definition of an expert: An Ex is a has-been, and a Spurt is a drip under pressure...

[ QUOTE ]
    can't stand the smell anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

leaves you thinking "yuk, did i used to smell like that?"
    One hull good, two hulls better.