Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Given up smoking....

Do you really want the answer to that ? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

But then I find the smell of Indian tea pretty 'orrible too !

how did you smoke 60 a day?

Are there enough hours?

Ditto .. smoked 40+ for over 20 years, now given up for 12 years .. still very occasionally get the odd "bad thought" but reckon its the best thing I ever did.
    Jings, bit hot today innit!

VicMallows is offline Registered User

Very well done!

Have never smoked myself; but wife did until 15 years ago. She gave up 'cold turkey' and was determined to do it on her own. I didn't even realise for 3 weeks!. She's now the most ardent anti-smoking type going. And absolutely NO-ONE smokes in our house!.

Vic

You can't do that, over 75% of my patients are smokers, what would I do without you? It would be like that listerine advert were all the dentists sit around doing nothing, think of the NHS they would have to go on paying me for doing nothing! What else could I do............
    Ahhh........
    No STOP, I have an idea for an alternative activity! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    We wunt be druv!

Stella, Go for it and ignore everyone. Use you own instinct and common sense. I was a real smoker for a while and decided to get rid of it it 2 years ago (almost to this week). The only way to do it is will power and if you are determined enough you should be able to enjoy the benefits. The only time time I nearly smoked was when I was dumped by my girlfriend and then I realised that if I started smoking becuase of her I would be a real idiot!

its nearly a fiver a pack now so I suggest that you save this money and as soon as it adds up to something you take your self off to a lovely holiday in the sun sailing!

Best of luck and fair winds

S

Good on ya Stella. Keep it up. I managed to do it 19 years ago after suffering a near fatal heart stoppage. Just happened to be in a hospital at the time.
    Who's a lucky boy then? and they didn't charge me extra for the leccy to kick start me again either. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

....am I weird? I am just coming up yo 3 yrs (April 17 2001, 23.10) and I found that up to 3 pints or so, I wanted a ciggy, after that, the desire drifted away.
    Now, like the others, I just don't like smoke smell at all, and when aged relatives come visiting, they stand out in the garden, and I resent the ash on the patio.
    Like you, I just gave up one night. I emptied the ashtray at 7pm, and when I looked in it before going to bed, there were 18 fab butts. I know I was under immense pressure at the time, but I thought that was ridiculous. I went to bed, and haven't had a fag since. I still like the smell of pubs, which is strange, and like others here I dream that I have started smoking again, and that wakes me up every time.
    My heart rate has dropped from 72 to 53. Blood pressure is a sane 127/73. I smell and taste everything, not always an advantage [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img], and physically noticed the difference after a year.
    Lots of strong coffee now has infinitely more effect, and makes me giddy, so I have reduced that too. My doctor mate says its because I have a lot less toxins flying round, and therefore feel minor differences in my body more.
    BAD NEWS: Chocolate & Haribo Gummy Bears consumption through the roof [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] . Have probably put on 2 stone, but thats because I am in love again. For the record, Lynn has also put on 2 stone. Must clear out the 3 or 400 cookery books.

Keep it up, I gave up twice for 9 months each in my late 20's and early 30's, and took it up again because of girlfriends who smoked.
    Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.
    Robert Green Ingersoll

Stellagirl

Same thing happened to me, just stopped after 40 years. Never had any encouragement from friends or family just did it, everyone around me still smokes but it doesn’t bother me at all. I don’t preach and I still allow smoking on the boat.

How long?

4 years 1 month 23 days 12 hours & 16 minutes. But who’s counting.

[ QUOTE ]
    and then just stopped, just like that. No patches, no gum, nothing.
    [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Is this before ? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] or afterwards ?
    Ken