Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina
    Posts
    1,912

    Default New restrictions on jet skis in parts of Kent

    Canterbury City Council has passed new bye laws that restrict boats to an 8 knot speed limit in selected areas of coast and jet skis must have an identifiable number on display for identification purposes.
    https://www.kentonline.co.uk/herne-b...-curbs-206833/

    Full details of the new bye laws are here.
    https://news.canterbury.gov.uk/media...at-byelaws.pdf

    Let us hope that the registration scheme gets extended countrywide.
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    N Kent Coast
    Posts
    4,164

    Default Re: New restrictions on jet skis in parts of Kent

    Wouldn't it be good to see an improvement in behaviour from jet skis and other small fast craft. There was one pulling a toy full of people up the Medway on Monday doing stupid speeds up by the moorings (ie. in the 6 kn zone), and there were a couple of small tenders out, plus a canoe.

    Speed limits don't seem to have much effect. The above is common from the Strand and up past MYC. It seems pretty unenforceable. It is difficult to see how compulsory registration will be also enforceable, especially along the whole of the North Kent Coast, and even if it was, how would that improve behaviour. Herne Bay Foreshore ran a rib a few years ago, but it was expensive for what it tried to do, and there are so many other places along the coast to launch from. Roads are full of drivers flouting the law, and roads have cameras and the odd police car.

    So if it is unenforceable then it just becomes bureaucracy.

    If jet skis become subject to registration it won't be long before all water users will be subject to this. CCC already require all boats left on the beach to be registered with them for a fee - quite what problem this overcomes, and whether it has I do not know.

    Can't see it working.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Itinerant. On an adventure!
    Posts
    2,856

    Default Re: New restrictions on jet skis in parts of Kent

    Quote Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
    Canterbury City Council has passed new bye laws that restrict boats to an 8 knot speed limit in selected areas of coast and jet skis must have an identifiable number on display for identification purposes.
    https://www.kentonline.co.uk/herne-b...-curbs-206833/

    Full details of the new bye laws are here.
    https://news.canterbury.gov.uk/media...at-byelaws.pdf

    Let us hope that the registration scheme gets extended countrywide.
    Only a small step to requiring all craft to display an identity mark - from there a stumble to all craft needing to be registered and their operators being licensed and identifiable.
    Gwylan, a settee with a sail

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    22,857

    Default Re: New restrictions on jet skis in parts of Kent

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    Only a small step to requiring all craft to display an identity mark - from there a stumble to all craft needing to be registered and their operators being licensed and identifiable.
    I don't see that as inevitable, though I would share your concern. There are specific concerns relating to jet-skis and regulation could easily be confined to them. The trouble is that the nuisance is not confined to speed-limited waters, serious though that area is. I feel especially sorry for the residents of places like Frinton who bought houses on the front years ago only to wake up one day and find that they can't sit outside on a summer afternoon without having to listen to the wasp-like drone of these beasts.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The land of the Medway
    Posts
    2,029

    Default Re: New restrictions on jet skis in parts of Kent

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    Only a small step to requiring all craft to display an identity mark - from there a stumble to all craft needing to be registered and their operators being licensed and identifiable.
    I’m not sure what problem this would cause the law abiding considerate boater?

    If you’re bombing about on a jet ski acting like a complete cretin in between the moorings, it could be an issue.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Itinerant. On an adventure!
    Posts
    2,856

    Default Re: New restrictions on jet skis in parts of Kent

    Look at France - suddenly whole new business springs up. Schools to deliver the necessary "qualification", of various levels of course. No improvement in the level of competence, but everyone gets a drink from it. .....

    The mandatory kit list......

    Then there will be the enforcers, the licensing department and of course the actual cost of administering this thing which has risen out of the murk to plague us.
    The enforcers will need boats and so on, guns probably.
    Fixed penalty fines? What no reflective signalling device, sir? That will be £50.00 - cash or card?

    Who will pay for those boats and brave boys in black then? Well our recently established maxim of "he user pays" seems to fit the model.

    Oh! Damn it I forgot about the charge for the "lights & marks" Another biling opportunity.

    Then there will be the "jobs worth" who insist on all the kit that we will have to carry. The insurance companies wil sense a little earner and tag along.

    Then you will only be allowed to use approved moorings - with licences and who will pay?
    Gwylan, a settee with a sail

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,477

    Default Re: New restrictions on jet skis in parts of Kent

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    Look at France - suddenly whole new business springs up. Schools to deliver the necessary "qualification", of various levels of course. No improvement in the level of competence, but everyone gets a drink from it. .....

    The mandatory kit list......

    Then there will be the enforcers, the licensing department and of course the actual cost of administering this thing which has risen out of the murk to plague us.
    The enforcers will need boats and so on, guns probably.
    Fixed penalty fines? What no reflective signalling device, sir? That will be £50.00 - cash or card?

    Who will pay for those boats and brave boys in black then? Well our recently established maxim of "he user pays" seems to fit the model.

    Oh! Damn it I forgot about the charge for the "lights & marks" Another biling opportunity.

    Then there will be the "jobs worth" who insist on all the kit that we will have to carry. The insurance companies wil sense a little earner and tag along.

    Then you will only be allowed to use approved moorings - with licences and who will pay?
    I tend to agree. There will be mission creep. There always is

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    22,857

    Default Re: New restrictions on jet skis in parts of Kent

    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Wader View Post
    I tend to agree. There will be mission creep. There always is
    There have been local areas of boating that require registration, and Armageddon hasn't arrived yet, so I don't share your pessimism, which is not like me at all. On the other hand, I don't think that the menace of jet-skis can easily be controlled, now that Pandora's box has been opened.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,477

    Default Re: New restrictions on jet skis in parts of Kent

    It may be that the consensus is that we do need regulation to control the excesses of a few but I would just caution to be careful what we wish for as we will all get more than we bargained for.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Swale/Medway
    Posts
    4,370

    Default Re: New restrictions on jet skis in parts of Kent

    Like all things it's the few that cause trouble.
    I've nothing against PWC owners generally, it's just the few that think it's clever to mess up other peoples' day, like blatting past a yacht at warp speed with a wiggle on the steering so as to soak those in the cockpit.
    Referring to the OP, I live about 3/4 mile from the main launch site at Herne Bay and I do wonder sometimes what the local Council think they're achieving by allowing powerboating there at all. It's the central location on the seafront and the noise some days is unbelievable. Forget any ideas of a quiet day on the beach. Those who come here to blast around don't seem to bring anything to the town other than the noise. Rather than faff about with temporary registration, cameras etc, just close off the launch site, seemples.
    As for the fatality referred to in the press cutting, that was near a second launch site at the west end of town. I really don't know why charges were never brought. Any similar road crash would have resulted in a 'causing death by dangerous driving' charge I'm sure.
    Edit: actually the Council have not come up with any new by-laws, what they are doing is a survey of local users with proposed courses of action for us to comment on.
    Last edited by Cantata; 20-06-19 at 19:57.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to