Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: New restrictions on jet skis in parts of Kent

Do most boaters (no small craft) register and must show SSRI numbers pretty cheap to register no hassle from the clipboard holders , why not have all this implemented
    Flying birds have no master

We had a meeting where a representative of the PLA attended. He explained that it is difficult to prosecute a jet skier for speeding as no one has a speed camera. But, he explained that there are otherways to get a successful prosecution. see here https://twitter.com/EssexPoliceUK/st...91933172490240

the PLA are encouraging anyone who sees something amiss to try and film it and pass it on to them as evidence. This is ok for the area under the control of the PLA but I am sure it could be adopted by other authorities.

I don't have a particular problem with compulsory registration and the enforcement of some standards of training. Looking back, we bought our first boat with zero experience and zero training - and we were an accident waiting to happen! Every time we came into the marina, you could see people putting extra fenders out! :-)

More by luck than judgement, we managed to avoid sinking ourselves or anyone else long enough to learn by trial and error more or less how to do it - but that really was not the way it should have happened!

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    I don't have a particular problem with compulsory registration and the enforcement of some standards of training. Looking back, we bought our first boat with zero experience and zero training - and we were an accident waiting to happen! Every time we came into the marina, you could see people putting extra fenders out! :-)

More by luck than judgement, we managed to avoid sinking ourselves or anyone else long enough to learn by trial and error more or less how to do it - but that really was not the way it should have happened!
    I'm glad that your period of incompetence passed without incident. I was fortunate in spending much of my youth messing around on the Broads in other people's boats. The point though is that there is no evidence as far as I am aware that a more restrictive regime would be of any actual benefit. Having sailed with several 'qualified' people of doubtful ability, I would as soon rely on my insurance as the pieces of paper that they carried. This does not mean that I am averse to proper training for those who want it, or certification schemes in general.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I think it is important to remember that a Jet Ski owner has as much right on the water as any other person
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    I think it is important to remember that a Jet Ski owner has as much right on the water as any other person
    They certainly do - along with the same responsibilities - which include obeying speed limits.

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    They certainly do - along with the same responsibilities - which include obeying speed limits.
    +1
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Just as large sail boats in a blow or indeed sail boats racing should obey the same limits and slow down if they go over the limit.

Ever seen that happen

Most sail boats only obey the limit because that is as fast as they can go

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    Just as large sail boats in a blow or indeed sail boats racing should obey the same limits and slow down if they go over the limit.

Ever seen that happen

Most sail boats only obey the limit because that is as fast as they can go
    That's just silly. There are few speed-limited areas where sailing boats are in a position to exceed the limit, and in any case a sailing boat doing a knot or two above the limit is hardly comparable to the idiot in the speedboat whose photo I put on another thread while doing about twenty knots past the seals in Hamford Water. In Brightlingsea Creek you might see the odd dinghy doing up to ten knots in the 4kn limit, but that is hardly a cause for concern.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    That's just silly. There are few speed-limited areas where sailing boats are in a position to exceed the limit, and in any case a sailing boat doing a knot or two above the limit is hardly comparable to the idiot in the speedboat whose photo I put on another thread while doing about twenty knots past the seals in Hamford Water. In Brightlingsea Creek you might see the odd dinghy doing up to ten knots in the 4kn limit, but that is hardly a cause for concern.
    I thought it was generally accepted that a Limit is just that a limit

Your post seems to imply that that is not the case and that a sail boat is fine to exceed the limit

So by your suggestions we can all set our own peramiters as you advocate above or is it you that make the rules

You also seem to understand little about speed on the water. My rib at the speed over the limit you suggest (8ish knots) will make far more wake than it willl at 18 -20 knots but hey ho

You continue to sail your yacht tacking all over the place and getting in others way and being a nuisance when You have an engine and could go in a straight line.

So you see many consider power craft to be a nuisance and some consider yachts to be a nuisance
    . Take your pick or you could just accept that sometimes you are causing the nuisance and sometimes it is others

Tolerance is the word you could perhaps think about

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast