Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: New restrictions on jet skis in parts of Kent

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    That's just silly. There are few speed-limited areas where sailing boats are in a position to exceed the limit, and in any case a sailing boat doing a knot or two above the limit is hardly comparable to the idiot in the speedboat whose photo I put on another thread while doing about twenty knots past the seals in Hamford Water. In Brightlingsea Creek you might see the odd dinghy doing up to ten knots in the 4kn limit, but that is hardly a cause for concern.
    A motor boat or PWC can produce less wash at a higher speed once on the plane whereas a sailing tub will kick out appreciably more wash as it goes 'a knot or two' above the limit. Your knot or two above the limit (if one assumes it to be 6 knots) is the equivalent of doing 81-93 in a 70mph limit.

Much as it pains me to agree with the Massive Fruit the limit is the limit, irrespective of the motive power.
    Last edited by Elecglitch; 29-06-19 at 20:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    I think it is important to remember that a Jet Ski owner has as much right on the water as any other person
    Just as large sail boats in a blow or indeed sail boats racing should obey the same limits and slow down if they go over the limit.

Ever seen that happen

Most sail boats only obey the limit because that is as fast as they can go

Virtually every time I head upriver to the fuel berth I'll have some sailing boat (under engine) tailgating me.
    Last edited by Elecglitch; 29-06-19 at 19:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    A motor boat or PWC can produce less wash at a higher speed once on the plane whereas a sailing tub will kick out appreciably more wash as it goes 'a knot or two' above the limit.

Much as it pains me to agree with the Massive Fruit the limit is the limit, irrespective of the motive power.
    The old myth that a planing-boat-doesn't-create-a-wash again. The energy still has to be dispersed in the water, so all that happens is that the wake trails at a greater angle, where it may even be steeper that when in displacement mode, but conveniently out of sight of the perpetrator, being so far aft.

It appears from your last sentence as if sailing craft get up your nose as well as your rear.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Sail boats don’t get me annoyed but the attitude of some that sail them certainly do
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

The old myth that a planing-boat-doesn't-create-a-wash again. The energy still has to be dispersed in the water, so all that happens is that the wake trails at a greater angle, where it may even be steeper that when in displacement mode, but conveniently out of sight of the perpetrator, being so far aft.

It appears from your last sentence as if sailing craft get up your nose as well as your rear.
    Not very bright are you?

As I said you know very little about speed in or on water
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

That's just silly. There are few speed-limited areas where sailing boats are in a position to exceed the limit, and in any case a sailing boat doing a knot or two above the limit is hardly comparable to the idiot in the speedboat whose photo I put on another thread while doing about twenty knots past the seals in Hamford Water. In Brightlingsea Creek you might see the odd dinghy doing up to ten knots in the 4kn limit, but that is hardly a cause for concern.
    Up to 10 kts...
    Looking at some of the screaming machines, itís more like down to 10kts.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

As I said you know very little about speed in or on water
    Your need to revert to insults does you little credit.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123