Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New boat

Default New boat

Opinions needed , if you purchased a new yacht ( 45 ft ) and you had major issues , your cannot service the engine , too big for engine housing , and several other issues .
    Keep it Simple!

Default Re: New boat

I'm not sure what you are looking for .... but the engine in any boat has to be serviceable in situ otherwise there has probably been a breach of consumer legislation unless the boat was sold with a warning that the engine cannot be serviced unless it is removed from the boat.

It the engine is just difficult or awkward to service or needs some special tools then I'm afraid that you are very unlikely to have any come back in law. You could always appeal to the good nature of the vendor and see if they will swap the engine for a smaller one.

Richard

Thanks Richard
    The engine : access to impeller impossible , access to main belt impossible , I think engine bay was for a Volvo , fitted a Yanmar
    Keep it Simple!

Slightly off topic but one reason I did not fit a Yanmar was difficulty of access to the impellor - for me the Beta was ideal as impellor very accessible on my boat.

Is this a new new boat, or a new-to-you second hand boat that has been modified by a previous owner? If one of big manufacturers has sold you a boat with that defect, then I would think that you have a case under consumer law. If it's a second hand boat fitted with an inappropriate engine, then I think it would be difficult to make a case unless the seller took steps to hide the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteFleur View Post
    Slightly off topic but one reason I did not fit a Yanmar was difficulty of access to the impellor - for me the Beta was ideal as impellor very accessible on my boat.
    Thanks this boat is 4 weeks old I cannot get cover off belt , or access to impeller ,
    Keep it Simple!

Quote Originally Posted by cloud7 View Post
    Thanks Richard
    The engine : access to impeller impossible , access to main belt impossible , I think engine bay was for a Volvo , fitted a Yanmar
    Assume you had looked at engine access, amongst many other things, as part of choosing the type of boat to buy.
    Did you request a different engine from the boat you looked at, or was the spec changed by the manufacturer post viewing?

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    Is this a new new boat, or a new-to-you second hand boat that has been modified by a previous owner? If one of big manufacturers has sold you a boat with that defect, then I would think that you have a case under consumer law. If it's a second hand boat fitted with an inappropriate engine, then I think it would be difficult to make a case unless the seller took steps to hide the fact.
    Caveat Emptor??

What is the boat, can you post pictures of the engine bay?
    For a new boat of that length I am sure you paid a lot of money, I would go back to the manufacturer/supplier and point out the issues and ask them how you are supposed to service it

People often say that they can't do somethings, it doesn't mean that those things can't be done. Fitting a bottom radiator hose to an old mini springs to mind.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast