Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Electric installation for small yacht - am I doing it right?

Well, an Achilles! Excellent choice of boat. What sail number? - was my first proper boat.

Assume that you are using LED bulbs.

You do not mention a GPS. It would be better to use a GPS and use it to drive the log/GPS rather than one of those silly wheel things which do not tell you anything worth knowing.

I would encourage you to have a bigger battery if you have the space - or find space for a bigger one. .
    The solar panel at 2 watts is a waste of time, or maybe a typo. Go for 60 watts and get a controller.

That way you will always have a full battery and have enough capacity to charge your phone and run the tablet for navigation. My experience is that tablets are quite hungry and certainly need charging on day 2.

My experience of running out of power sailing from Milford to Portishead drives my encouragement to have the largest possible battery and panel. The dark leg from Swansea to Portishead with no lights and no instruments was a formative and character building experience - that I do not want to repeat.
    Shuttling torch batteries to the GPS to get a fix and trying to read the fix in the dark was epic.

Also use the thickest reasonable cable between the solar panel and the charge controller.
    You can use individually fused circuits for the various elements of your system - just choose fuses as recommende by the individual equipemnt.

Carry a cheap car battery charger for a quick boost when mains is available. Lidl & Aldi typically a tenner or so.

Have fun.
    Gwylan, a settee with a sail

That's reasonable, 'slawosz'.

I'd encourage you to use 'tinned cable' throughout, for the untinned domestic stuff acquires surface corrosion and therefore progressive connection problems rather quickly. There's maybe a few pennies 'saving' there which prove to be false economy, ending up costing you much more, and new nav lights failures when you can least afford them....

A 2W PV panel will not prove sufficient. Quickly. And your battery will end up wholly 'knackered'. Eventually, you'll bite the bullet, be forced to buy a new battery and also buy a 'big enough' solar panel. A simple controller device, which incorporates a 'reverse flow' diode to stop 'joos' draining back at night, is 'cheap as chips'. I'm no expert on PV panels - or much else - but I'd suggest a nominal capacity of around 20A would be about appropriate.

This unit can be simply mounted in the cockpit, using cords - and there are scores of more complex mountings should you want one. Also look at the Anderson connectors...

12 Volt Planet's people are outstanding in their 'customer service' as many here will attest. Ask them....

Posters are probably right about 2w panel being too small. However I use 5w and only occasionally connect it. It sits on the boom cover when in use. But then Nicad battery and only used in summer. (lots of sun)
    Regarding fuses. I would suggest just one fuse at or near the battery terminal. You can use one of those 2 spade auto fuses with spade type amp lugs on wires for max reliability. This means just a box with a few switches to turn on lights etc. Individual fuses might seem a good idea equipment failures are rare and while a failure of one item or fuse will kill everything that is not so terrible on a small boat.
    Whilst you can go for really light wiring for the current for lights etc heavier wiring in tinned copper will give a longer more robust life.
    As said forget a log they just foul up and often fail. Rely on GPS for navigation. Possibly a hand held will suit. This can be powered from internal batteries (my choice) or ships battery if you want it running all the sailing time. ol'will

So for now, my only receiver is Nasa Target 2, which, according to producer, needs 12 mA (???). Regarding main fuse, by close to battery, could it be 2 meters or 15 cm is better? I have inline fuse holder, so can do both.
    I don't plan overnight sails for now.

I started to look into solar panels on ebay, does 50 W installations for 50 quid are any good for sea water?

@Gwylan, my Achilles is no 40, Merlin. It sailed before on Bristol Channel. It is in very good condition - dry coachroof, professionally restored skeg, and newish (~20/30 years) mast with slab reefing.

How about IP 68 small gel boxes? They look super easy to use, but are they any good for marine environment?

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

Quote Originally Posted by slawosz View Post
    How about IP 68 small gel boxes? They look super easy to use, but are they any good for marine environment?
    IP68 Protected from total dust ingress. Protected from long term immersion up to a specified pressure.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Quote Originally Posted by slawosz View Post
    So for now, my only receiver is Nasa Target 2, which, according to producer, needs 12 mA (???). Regarding main fuse, by close to battery, could it be 2 meters or 15 cm is better? I have inline fuse holder, so can do both.
    I don't plan overnight sails for now.

I started to look into solar panels on ebay, does 50 W installations for 50 quid are any good for sea water?

@Gwylan, my Achilles is no 40, Merlin. It sailed before on Bristol Channel. It is in very good condition - dry coachroof, professionally restored skeg, and newish (~20/30 years) mast with slab reefing.
    As close to the battery as reasonably practicable.

Usual advice is not to use one of these inline fuse holders though

An inline blade fuse holder would be better. A fixed fuse holder better still.

( ive got one of the type illustrated ...... been Ok infact)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12