Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: The East Coast Pirates❓

Quote Originally Posted by dolabriform View Post
    We'll chat about dates, but on first look it seems that either the 10th or the 24th we be good for tide times.
    As said before, tides at Stone Point are not that significant.

But clearly it is difficult to have a get-together with one boat so take-up will dictate the way ahead.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

Was it Sixpence who brought the gas powered potato cannon one year, that livened things up a bit
    Harwich for the Continent - Brexit For the Incontinent . Sadler 290

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    As said before, tides at Stone Point are not that significant.

But clearly it is difficult to have a get-together with one boat so take-up will dictate the way ahead.
    Hi

You know the area better than me, but I was thinking about access to and from Stone point from being on a buoy or at anchor. The chart indicates that it dries around the 'island' at low water, and on the 17th LW is around 1945, so it would make getting to and from it at that time a bit difficult. On the 24th it's at 0010, with HW at 1600 so it would make getting to and from it easier?

As I said, I don't know the area so please feel free to correct me!
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

Hi

You know the area better than me, but I was thinking about access to and from Stone point from being on a buoy or at anchor. The chart indicates that it dries around the 'island' at low water, and on the 17th LW is around 1945, so it would make getting to and from it at that time a bit difficult. On the 24th it's at 0010, with HW at 1600 so it would make getting to and from it easier?

As I said, I don't know the area so please feel free to correct me!
    What is your draught?

Horsey Island is surrounded by water at all states of the tide.

The shallowest patch is from the Island Point NCM though the dog leg into the Walton Channel but even at low water provided you stay within the channel it is navigable for most vessels.

There is plenty of water going into The Backwaters from the Pye End FWM to the Island Point NCM and on into Hamford Water to the Exchem SHM and beyond. The holding is very good but there are no mooring buoys in Hamford Water.

The buoys are in the Walton Channel. The water at Stone Point is deep close-to but it runs hard at certain times. However, it is possible to anchor close-to just south of the Point out of the main current. We have spent many night at anchor there but if in doubt you could pick up a buoy further into the channel.

Another alternative is to continue up to Titchmarsh Marina or, provided the tides are right, into the Walton Yacht Basin. The benefits of the basin are easy walking access to Walton and the beaches.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by nortada; 24-06-19 at 19:32.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

My draft is tiny ( 0.8m ) I was thinking about landing a dinghy on Stone Point, am I missing the point ( or indeed the location ), it looked to me that it wouldn't be possible to land at LW ( see attached )

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 20.27.02.jpg

My draft is tiny ( 0.8m ) I was thinking about landing a dinghy on Stone Point, am I missing the point ( or indeed the location ), it looked to me that it wouldn't be possible to land at LW ( see attached )

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 20.27.02.jpg
    Provided you stay within the buoyed channel, with a draught of less than 1m you will be able to access the Walton Channel inbound from the sea at all states of the tide. Stone Point is sand but this turns to mud about 200 to 300m into the Walton Channel.

Because the Walton Channel side of Stone Point is steep-to it is possible to anchor close-to outside the main flow at all states of the tide.

The seaward side of of Stone Point is shallow and exposed to the sea so although I have anchored in daylight in settled weather conditions, I would not spend the night there.
    Last edited by nortada; 24-06-19 at 20:04.

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    With a draught of less than 1m you will be able to access the Walton Channel inbound from the sea at all states of the tide.

Because the Walton Channel side of Stone Point is steep-to it is possible to anchor close-to outside the main flow at all states of the tide.

The seaward side of of Stone Point is shallow and exposed to the sea so although I have anchored in daylight in settled weather conditions, I would not spend the night there.
    Thanks, I think I was /am being a complete idiot and read the chart as the drying area being all marsh and not sand.

Hence I presume that it's possible to land a dingy at all states of the tide?

Thanks, I think I was /am being a complete idiot and read the chart as the drying area being all marsh and not sand.

Hence I presume that it's possible to land a dingy at all states of the tide?
    Yes but stay close to the Point to avoid the mud.

Chartlet from 2019 survey is on our website, see here and scroll down for 'Stone Point / Walton Backwaters'
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cantata View Post
    Chartlet from 2019 survey is on our website, see here and scroll down for 'Stone Point / Walton Backwaters'
    Thanks for that

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast