Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: EE SIM for the West of Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    getting it required a particular type of data SIM - a particular frequency, I think.

Can anyone shed light on this?
    Looks like the terms you're looking for are "LTE-Advanced" or "Category 6 LTE or higher".

Looks like this may be branded as 4G+, 4.5G or 5G, depending on the carrier - the highest option in EE"s online store is "5G", which has only 5 compatible phones, so I bet that's it.

TP-Link's Wi-Fi M7650 boasts that it's "LTE-Advanced cat11" ("with up to 600 Mbps download and 50 Mbps upload speeds"). So that would appear to do the trick, too - Very.co.uk have it for less than 150.

Another point is to make sure your phone or dongle actually works on every 4G frequency band which your airtime carrier has a licence for.
    4G licences are dotted around the spectrum. Not all phones/modems do all bands. Beware of hardware optimised for other countries.
    Is it possible to find out which bands are in use at specific cell sites?

Back in the day, we'd have been using a foreign SIM to roam to any UK network and flipping it between selected phones looking for a signal....

Only places that we haven't been able to get EE 4G so far on the west coast of Scotland have been Loch Craigaig, Gometra and Canna and some bits of sea a long way between islands. Otherwise it has been pretty good.

I just bought an EE PAYG SIM on eBay and topped it up. Its in my iPad but with that and my O2 phone were well covered on the west coast.

I am surprised to read here of such considerably improved coverage on EE.
    I rely on EE via Plusnet and although there did seem to be some more coverage, I found during early June:
    Loch Droma Buidhe. Nix
    Canna. Nix
    Loch Skiport. Nix
    Ronay nix
    Loch Finbay. Nix
    South Rona. Nix
    Plockton reasonable coverage.
    Tobermory reasonable coverage
    Is there a map showing where these new masts are?
    Or does it make a difference that my sim is in an iPhone 6?
    Last edited by Cardinal; 25-06-19 at 05:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggy View Post
    I just bought an EE PAYG SIM on eBay and topped it up. It’s in my iPad but with that and my O2 phone we’re well covered on the west coast.
    Thanks. I have just found an card on Amazon with 6GB to be used within 90 days for 17 or so, which looks fine.

Now, next question ... does the EE network support 3G or do I have to buy a 4G mifi? I'm quite happy with the system I have, and would prefer to keep it if possible.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I am surprised to read here of such considerably improved coverage on EE.
    I rely on EE via Plusnet and although there did seem to be some more coverage, I found during early June:
    Loch Droma Buidhe. Nix
    Canna. Nix
    Loch Skiport. Nix
    Ronay nix
    Loch FineBay. Nix
    South Rona. Nix
    Plockton reasonable coverage.
    Tobermory reasonable coverage
    Is there a map showing where these new masts are?
    Or does it make a difference that my sim is in an iPhone 6?
    It's quite possibly because most of those anchorages are surrounded by hills. I find you usually have to go ashore and spend ten minutes going uphill before you find a signal. Fortunately I quite enjoy the excuse to get off the boat
    Moody 39- Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie View Post
    It's quite possibly because most of those anchorages are surrounded by hills. I find you usually have to go ashore and spend ten minutes going uphill before you find a signal. Fortunately I quite enjoy the excuse to get off the boat
    I was afraid that might be the case although I did try that on Harris without success.
    I had been intending to get a vodaphone sim until this thread appeared. As I often have a crew with a foreign sim aboard, I know that there are other signals out there which are not EE, so I think there are plenty of places reachable by signal if EE sent one!

At Loch Droma Buidhe You have to get up the hill until you almost see Tobermory.
    Corribee 21 > Contessa 26 > Nicholson 32

Quote Originally Posted by dutyhog View Post
    At Loch Droma Buidhe You have to get up the hill until you almost see Tobermory.
    And then have a friend give you a full body search for ticks.........
    Ω

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast