Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: KAD44 issue

Default Re: KAD44 issue

supercharger clutch worn out? if possible run the engine with the hatch up and look for sparks as the supercharger clutch engages

Quote Originally Posted by kashurst View Post
    supercharger clutch worn out? if possible run the engine with the hatch up and look for sparks as the supercharger clutch engages
    Which part is that K?

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en...0-25-4853.aspx

you can only buy the complete assembly, number 11 in a circle.
    it is possible to see the thin layer of friction material without taking the clutch apart if you look in the slight gap between 14 and 17. the friction stuff is on 17. If you drive the boat in displacement mode (slowly) make sure the revs are not sitting at 1000 rpm as this is where the clutch engages. (I think' check manual - it's 1000 on a kad300) If you drive at 1000 rpm the clutch will keep engaging and disengaging as the rpm varies very slightly under load. It may be it's just got a bit cooked if used without understanding this and started to slip as it has overheated.

It was 1400 rpm on my old DPH KAD 300 twin .
    Probably varies a bit .
    There’s been rigorous debate about D speed sub supercharger cut in our point on here many times .
    I,am sure I read in my manual 2003 , they were “ high speed diesels “ designed for running constantly north of 3000/3200 , SC cut in @1400 and passed boost job to the turbo @ 2600 or there about s so dropping to 2600 the cut out and hovering there is just as bad friction material life wise as the engagement speed .
    Avoid engagement AND disengage rpms what ever they are ?

Another reason possibly for the symptoms if the screeching comes on when cruising , up on the plane is a turbo is on its way out , dropping boost so the SC starts or try’s to engage .Its a bit masked by the other ( good ) engine initially.
    But eventually as time passes it be becomes apparent.
    So the knackered SC clutch is caused by a increasing lazy turbo .

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    It was 1400 rpm on my old DPH KAD 300 twin .
    Probably varies a bit .
    There’s been rigorous debate about D speed sub supercharger cut in our point on here many times .
    I,am sure I read in my manual 2003 , they were “ high speed diesels “ designed for running constantly north of 3000/3200 , SC cut in @1400 and passed boost job to the turbo @ 2600 or there about s so dropping to 2600 the cut out and hovering there is just as bad friction material life wise as the engagement speed .
    Avoid engagement AND disengage rpms what ever they are ?
    That's not the case, the manual doesn't say anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Another reason possibly for the symptoms if the screeching comes on when cruising , up on the plane is a turbo is on its way out , dropping boost so the SC starts or try’s to engage .Its a bit masked by the other ( good ) engine initially.
    But eventually as time passes it be becomes apparent.
    So the knackered SC clutch is caused by a increasing lazy turbo .
    Thanks - I've head of those 'hunting' symptoms before but I don't believe mine suffers from it. But it's perfectly possible that the clutch is on its way out.

If anyone can look whilst going along I think you will save yourself cash or where is noise coming from and where is “ smoke” coming from. Assume it was ok to Ibiza ?

Re the revs all over the place were they or was it just The Gague ?

If just the indication you are back to alternator again. Knackered bearings and stopping? Stops belt screeches and “smoke”

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    If anyone can look whilst going along I think you will save yourself cash or where is noise coming from and where is “ smoke” coming from. Assume it was ok to Ibiza ?

Re the revs all over the place were they or was it just The Gague ?

If just the indication you are back to alternator again. Knackered bearings and stopping? Stops belt screeches and “smoke”
    Runs fine at speed (trip to / from Ibiza was fine) which is always encouraging.

It's erratic revs, not just indication. Problem is occurring at tickover and when running at low speed.

I'm not back out until August so will leave our chap to sort it out. Most likely causes seem to be...

1) blocked fuel filter - could explain erratic revs and smoke
    2) knackered alternator - could explain screeching, belt dust and erratic revs
    3) Knackered compressor clutch - ditto

Just another possible cause of the revs jumping up and down. Inside the racor 500 filter assembly is a little alloy ball and a red rubber seal thing. It is there to act as an anti-run back device if you leave the boat for a while with low fuel levels. They have been known to play up. I was advised by local Volvo (Oscar Marine - Andy knows him well) to take the ball and seal out - which I have done. I don't think it's the ball per se, I suspect it is because the path for the fuel past the ball is not that big so if a lump of crud comes through it can get stuck etc.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast