Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is the Company Acting Fairly?

I will name and shame/praise when I hear back but in the meantime what do the panel think?

Boat electronic item indicates a fault at 8 months old and has 2 yr warranty. Manufacturer suggests various fault finding procedures. I carry out their tests, supply photographs of the unit and the error messages that appear and feedback to them.
    In light of the results, manufacturer then asks for the unit to be returned to factory (different continent) and I do so at my expense.

Manufacturer states the unit is working fine and then invoices me for 100 euro for "testing". After I've paid they will send the unit within Europe back to me .
    There has never been a mention of charges at any time prior to this email.

I now feel held to ransom to get my item back.

Should I feel a little aggrieved? Was I naive in thinking a prestigious EU yachting company would offer such support on a "new" £3,000 product without charge?
    Last edited by Dave100456; 21-06-19 at 15:05.

Default Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is the Company Acting Fairly?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave100456 View Post
    I will name and shame/praise when I hear back but in the meantime what do the panel think?

Boat electronic item indicates a fault at 8 months old and has 2 yr warranty. Manufacturer suggests various fault finding procedures. I carry out their tests, supply photographs of the unit and the error messages that appear and feedback to them.
    In light of the results, manufacturer then asks for the unit to be returned to factory (different continent) and I do so at my expense.

Manufacturer states the unit is working fine and then invoices me for 100 euro for "testing". After I've paid they will send the unit within Europe back to me .
    There has never been a mention of charges at any time prior to this email.

I now feel held to ransom to get my item back.

Should I feel a little aggrieved? Was I naive in thinking a prestigious EU yachting company would offer such support a "new" £3,000 product without charge?
    What continent? Did you pay with a credit card?

On the face of it it does sound unreasonable by the company if within warranty period.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    On the face of it it does sound unreasonable by the company if within warranty period.
    Especially as he carried out the tests asked for by the manufacturer and sent photos of the error messages.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

I bought from UK supplier who has been very supportive (also believing charge to be unreasonable) but since I'd sailed to Trinidad and was there, I contacted the manufacturer direct.

Manufacturer sounds well out of order according to the events as described. Although you probably don't want to get into an extended ding dong in a different country over such a small amount.

I'd pay the excess and upon receipt of the goods politely explain that you'd like a full refund by a specified date. If they fail to send it then sure, name and shame. It's good to put a name to poorly behaving suppliers.

The UK chandler who sold me the item is 'in the middle' and to complicate matters they are supplied by the UK distributor.
    The chandler has been very supportive and offered to pay half the manufacturer's "unreasonable" test fee which is a very generous gesture. I'll happy name and praise them later but want to hear back from the manufacturer first.

If there was genuinely nothing wrong with the item and the simply tested it and found it to be OK then I think they have a case but it seems rom what you say there were clear and documented faults which they acknowledged. I would be asking them to confirm why when it left you they were satisfied to accept the unit was faulty but when it arrived by miracle it was not. I think they have lost track of the details and are simply following a standard practice of charging for all work or they might just be trying it on. But electronic items don't suddenly repair themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    If there was genuinely nothing wrong with the item and the simply tested it and found it to be OK then I think they have a case but it seems rom what you say there were clear and documented faults which they acknowledged. I would be asking them to confirm why when it left you they were satisfied to accept the unit was faulty but when it arrived by miracle it was not. I think they have lost track of the details and are simply following a standard practice of charging for all work or they might just be trying it on. But electronic items don't suddenly repair themselves.
    Good point, thank you

Cynical old me says they fixed it and want some money back from you. As it was under warranty they can only get it by this ruse.
    Last edited by Biggles Wader; 21-06-19 at 19:07.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast