Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine problem

Default Engine problem

Currently stuck on a mooring in Brodick Bay with non-functioning engine (Volvo Penta D1-20F with saildrive). No drive, bad juddering on acceleration in gear, doesn’t make its usual muscular sound when revved in neutral. The last would suggest its not something round the folding prop. Suggestions welcomed.

Default Re: Engine problem

Quote Originally Posted by mick View Post
    Currently stuck on a mooring in Brodick Bay with non-functioning engine (Volvo Penta D1-20F with saildrive). No drive, bad juddering on acceleration in gear, doesn’t make its usual muscular sound when revved in neutral. The last would suggest its not something round the folding prop. Suggestions welcomed.
    sail home then get a tow or use the dinghy with an outboard if you have one. Where are you based?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    sail home then get a tow or use the dinghy with an outboard if you have one. Where are you based?
    Aye, that’s the plan. Was hoping someone might suggest what’s causing the problem. Based Port Bannatyne.

Aye, that’s the plan. Was hoping someone might suggest what’s causing the problem. Based Port Bannatyne.
    Your description is rather vague. So, out of gear the engine does what ?

Shot in the dark..... does it run rough and "lumpy", won't rev properly ? If so, have you checked the fuel filter ? If you have a spare, try it.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

If it won't run properly in Neutral the most likely cause is fuel or lack of it due to Air in the system or as Paul suggested Dirty filters. Has any work been done recently? Have you tried bleeding the fuel system? Other than that it's likely to be more serious.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    Your description is rather vague. So, out of gear the engine does what ?

Shot in the dark..... does it run rough and "lumpy", won't rev properly ? If so, have you checked the fuel filter ? If you have a spare, try it.
    Under acceleration the engine judders violently. That would suggest possibly the prop being fouled. However, accelerating in neutral does not produce the usual sound - the note is much weaker, less powerful although it does accelerate. So, not the prop? I changed both primary and fine filters 12 engine hours ago and the engine has been its normal reliable self, until now.

Under acceleration the engine judders violently. That would suggest possibly the prop being fouled. However, accelerating in neutral does not produce the usual sound - the note is much weaker, less powerful although it does accelerate. So, not the prop? I changed both primary and fine filters 12 engine hours ago and the engine has been its normal reliable self, until now.
    From what you say, no, not the prop. Still worth checking the filters, may have stirred some crap up during your trip out ?
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Thanks for contributions. I’ll update you when sorted.

If I follow you correctly you changed the filters before this problem started? Check the seals for air leaks.

I would work from the prop back, so it's got to be getting cold and wet, just to satisfy yourself that all is in order.
    I know nothing about saildrives, but can you put a hand to it whilst running in neutral and in gear to feel for vibration?
    Are the symptoms the same whilst running in neutral and in gear forward and reverse?
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast