Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Panic attack on boat. Love sailing.

I have your sympathy’s. I went through similar a few years ago. Never had trouble before. Used to take boats out across the channel with no problem...

Have you consulted your doctor.... CBT may help by changing your thought process and learning how to control your breathing to prevent panic....

I occasionally take Kalms tablets which is herbal. And a beta blocker to lower your blood pressure and heart rate. Which should stop your flight, fight freeze response... I was a bit optimistic about it but my doctor gives it to CEO directors that have to do big speeches and orchestra members.

Do not go down the slippy slopes of anxiety drugs....

Enjoy being out on the water... never give up.... it does get better.
    Last edited by AIDY; 22-06-19 at 18:44.

Quote Originally Posted by AIDY View Post
    I have your sympathy’s. I went through similar a few years ago. Never had trouble before. Used to take boats out across the channel with no problem...

Have you consulted your doctor.... CBT may help by changing your thought process and learning how to control your breathing to prevent panic....

I occasionally take Kalms tablets which is herbal. And a beta blocker to lower your blood pressure and heart rate. Which should stop your flight, fight freeze response... I was a bit optimistic about it but my doctor gives it to CEO directors that have to do big speeches and orchestra members.

Do not go down the slippy slopes of anxiety drugs....

Enjoy being out on the water... never give up.... it does get better.
    There has been some good advice as usual on this thread and all worth doing. AIDY above hit the nail on the head in many respects, talk to your Doctor. CBT will help you to understand why it's happening to you and that will help you in the long run. I found Kalms a bit of a placebo but everything is worth trying. I also concur with AIDY with beta blockers, doesn't take away the anxiety but does take away the symptoms and that is a HUGE help. You maybe be prescribed 3-4 a day but just one would work with no side affects. I also agree with AIDY about Anxiety drugs and Depression drugs, just don't. They make you a zombie!

Take things slow and keep in your comfort zone, take in some further training also as mentioned above and learn to enjoy your hobby again.

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    There has been some good advice as usual on this thread and all worth doing. AIDY above hit the nail on the head in many respects, talk to your Doctor. CBT will help you to understand why it's happening to you and that will help you in the long run. I found Kalms a bit of a placebo but everything is worth trying. I also concur with AIDY with beta blockers, doesn't take away the anxiety but does take away the symptoms and that is a HUGE help. You maybe be prescribed 3-4 a day but just one would work with no side affects. I also agree with AIDY about Anxiety drugs and Depression drugs, just don't. They make you a zombie!

Take things slow and keep in your comfort zone, take in some further training also as mentioned above and learn to enjoy your hobby again.
    Agree with Every thing MR B said..

Some great advice from others.. but means nothing until you can understand your thought process and why it happens...

Donít forget anxiety is built in to us to protect us.. your never get rid of it.. but you can fight it so it will never win or beat you.

for your info Kalms is just a cabbage extract, meant to help in worrying times.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandydog2 View Post
    If you enjoy being out on boats, but not being skipper, why not ask your wife if she will take on that role ? If you are both qualified and experienced you will be a lot safer. You don't really need to have a designated skipper anyway. The Diesel engine and a first aid course are worth doing too. Some people are happy as crew and don't want to be skipper. But the more you both know the better.
    That's a very good idea.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    That's a very good idea.
    +1 to that.
    I've thought my wife and kids enough to get the boat back home if anything happens to me, boat might not enjoy the trip but they'd get there.
    I've also put instructions on how to call a mayday next to the VHF.

But I've found the best thing for peace of mind is a spare boat :-)
    Ideally by cruising in company, but failing that by taking a dinghy with you, at your size you may need to tow it, but at displacement speeds that would be fine.
    www.fimtra.com - Distributed software, Innovative solutions.

When I swapped to a cruiser the first year was a mixture of pure adrenalin joy and fun and a paralysing fear of docking. I feared and loved the boat in equal measure which made it all rather confusingly stressful. I think that's pretty normal and you are not unusual in it.
    A couple years in I started getting regular angina culminating in a (mild!) heart attack at sea on anchorage. More and surgery put me shore bound with a 30 min curfew from hospital which meant sitting on the boat in harbour with the boat keys firmly tucked into the wife's handbag. I followed on with the wife (crew) knowing what to do in an emergency, instructions on procedure taped to helm, full spare set of meds kept onboard etc and we built up confidence to go out again after the final surgery. And that's really it. Small steps to build confidence and a game plan for when things go wrong.

I would also say don't forget you can have a great day out without travelling very far.
    Set yourself some easily achieved goals. Try to find the nearest place you see people fishing, go there, not only will it be a short journey, you don't need to worry about anything going wrong because there are other boats nearby to help.
    Don't put too much pressure on yourself, I know of loads of boats here that never travel any further than 1 mile to the pub on the other side of the harbour. And they have a great summer boating.

And remember we're all in this together, the master yachtsmen started with the same experience and worries as you, other boaters are always there to help, most of us have needed some form of help or another over the years.
    www.fimtra.com - Distributed software, Innovative solutions.

A couple of years ago I developed a fear of bridges, I ended up not being able to drive over the QE2 bridge. As a passenger i could just about tolerate crossing the bridge. I had similar problems with the Orwell bridge too. It got so bad I once stopped on the QE2 bridge, in the middle. Crazy. I spent some time with a friend who's s counselor and he sorted out my irrational fear and now I'm fine again.

I'm glad people are starting to feel they can talk about this now and well done the op for asking for advice. It hasn't been the case for many years but people are starting to talk about mental health. It can hit anyone at any time, it's not exclusive to anyone, It's not taboo now either!! There is help to be had but it's still limited, If anyone ever wants to talk PM me in confidence, I'm more than happy to to talk/help.

Well done Big Col too for facing his fears and getting help!!
    Last edited by MrB; 24-06-19 at 22:55.

How about taking your wife and both learning the ropes together, you will be safe in the knowledge that you can both handle the boat in the event of an emergency and that in any circumstances you will have two brains to overcome any problems you may encounter.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast