Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Salvaged anchor with free warning about crappy swivels

Dived our anchor last night here in Preveza (north of the fishing harbour), as there was quite a bit of rattling around transmitting up the chain before it set. Wasn't fouled, but hadn't set deep, very hard ground.

Next to it was a big concrete mooring block (sadly the ring was rusted away or I could've used that) and a severely fouled plough type anchor, which I almost ignored, as they're usually old and rusty, but it looked big and some intact galvanizing peeked out at me.

So this morning we've salvaged it and I spent an hour with a claw hammer knocking the tubeworms off and evicting a few small crabs. Turns out it's a Kobra 25kg in good shape, so I think we might even find a place for that on the boat as backup. It folds down to reduce size a bit.

Now for the interesting bit (to me). From the fouling it must've been down there for maybe 2-3 years I would guess. The stainless was all shiny, no rust, no pitting. Even the bolt that keeps the fold-down shank in place, which was stamped A2-70 had no rust on it. This was in around 5m depth, just laying on the side (not dug in at all).

But the reason it was lost was the swivel. A design with a sex bolt (small bolt screwing into big bolt) on each end and a stainless allen bolt that was welded in for the swiveling part, like the leftmost design Vyv illustrates. The weld has cracked and the swivel bolt is loose, but still swiveling and not coming out. The jaws on both ends were bent open a bit and the barrel bolt on the chain end was gone - someone must've had a bad moment here when they dragged and then pulled up a chain with no anchor. Hope they had a spare!

More pictures of the failed swivel here.

Makes me glad we have a Kong (with the bolt Loctited in - and the bolt doesn't touch any moving parts).
    Last edited by Yngmar; 22-06-19 at 15:12. Reason: Fixed imgur link

Default Re: Salvaged anchor with free warning about crappy swivels

Wow, thanks, I have the same type of svivel! I'll take it apart when I get to the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngmar View Post
    More pictures of the failed swivel: https://imgur.com/a/AlV7Hds

Makes me glad we have a Kong (with the bolt Loctited in - and the bolt doesn't touch any moving parts).
    Revised link here: https://imgur.com/a/AlV7Hds (The one in your post didn't work for me - http://%3Cu%3Ehttps//imgur.com/a/AlV7Hds%3C/u%3E)
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

Nice find, and a good lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Giblets View Post
    Revised link here: https://imgur.com/a/AlV7Hds (The one in your post didn't work for me - http://%3Cu%3Ehttps//imgur.com/a/AlV7Hds%3C/u%3E)
    Thanks, fixed it in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngmar View Post
    Dived our anchor last night here in Preveza (north of the fishing harbour), as there was quite a bit of rattling around transmitting up the chain before it set. Wasn't fouled, but hadn't set deep, very hard ground.

Next to it was a big concrete mooring block (sadly the ring was rusted away or I could've used that) and a severely fouled plough type anchor, which I almost ignored, as they're usually old and rusty, but it looked big and some intact galvanizing peeked out at me.

So this morning we've salvaged it and I spent an hour with a claw hammer knocking the tubeworms off and evicting a few small crabs. Turns out it's a Kobra 25kg in good shape, so I think we might even find a place for that on the boat as backup. It folds down to reduce size a bit.

Now for the interesting bit (to me). From the fouling it must've been down there for maybe 2-3 years I would guess. The stainless was all shiny, no rust, no pitting. Even the bolt that keeps the fold-down shank in place, which was stamped A2-70 had no rust on it. This was in around 5m depth, just laying on the side (not dug in at all).

But the reason it was lost was the swivel. A design with a sex bolt (small bolt screwing into big bolt) on each end and a stainless allen bolt that was welded in for the swiveling part, like the leftmost design Vyv illustrates. The weld has cracked and the swivel bolt is loose, but still swiveling and not coming out. The jaws on both ends were bent open a bit and the barrel bolt on the chain end was gone - someone must've had a bad moment here when they dragged and then pulled up a chain with no anchor. Hope they had a spare!

More pictures of the failed swivel here.

Ist this why Viv Cox recomends a few links of chain between the anchor & swivel

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    Ist this why Viv Cox recomends a few links of chain between the anchor & swivel
    Unless you are anchored in a place where you are spinning around, the swivel is pointless and causes problems. We ditched ours many years ago and haven’t looked back.

Thanks for posting as very interesting.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

[QUOTE=ctva;6823140]Unless you are anchored in a place where you are spinning around, the swivel is pointless and causes problems. We ditched ours many years ago and haven’t looked back.

Agreed- we use a load rated lifting shackle, with no swivel and have never had a problem.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

If you have a bow roller with a decent diameter and a groove cut into the face to take the vertical links, the anchor will untwist itself automatically as it comes home. No need for a swivel.

Wink Re: Salvaged anchor with free warning about crappy swivels

So if I had the exact same swivel, would I be doing it wrong?

Asking for a friend
    We have done it........... we are now full time liveboards !!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast