Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Windlass ripped from hull

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    more info needed before we start suggestion the charter company at fault.
    coinciding most charter boat are within four years old the windlass would had been fitted at the factory ,
    and they would had fitted many hundred if not thousands , that not to say a shoddy repairs hasn't been done since fitted very rarely read of windlass just falling off .
    but I have seen one windlass plus cleats ripped out when a power boat roared off at speed still attract to another boat anchor chain .
    I no fan of charter company they get away with murder but I also seen the way charters miss use boats so it could easily be the fault of another charter who missed used it , but who to say and how do the OP prove it ?
    its no different then when a charter return and a dive goes down and says the keel damage .
    personally I think the OP now has a problem on his hands , he could ask for a report by a independent surveyor but that would cost him more then the repair .
    I think you're right Vic.

I've seen many boats being dragged towards the anchor and I always cringe. We were watching a charter boat a couple of years ago, although he was on the other side of the bay, and his anchor was obviously jammed on the seabed. He was clearly operating the windlass to try and break it free such that the bow of his boat was being pulled down toward the sea level. Suddenly, just as darkness fell, there was an enormous bang like a gun shot and the boat sprang upwards.

It was either the chain breaking, the windlass internals breaking or the windlass snapping out of the deck. Maybe there are other candidates but I can't think of any as I'm assuming that the bang was not from under the water.

After that he turned and motored away, presumably heading for a marina as I guess his anchoring days were over.

Only the OP knows whether he might have succumbed to such dubious practices.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Norman_E View Post
    .......I suspect that the OP had a boat where the windlass mounting was already weakened and waiting to fail.........
    I agree with this scenario. I feel sorry for the OP but I donít think he would be successful in challenging the charter company.

From their perspective, the boat went out with a windlass, there was a hand-over process (presumably) and it was returned damaged. They will not have time for argument, theyíll get it repaired as quickly as possible and returned to the fleet, especially in high season. Doubles theyíll pass the costs to his insurance policy, thatís why itís recommended to buy it.

Time to move on. Donít let it spoil the pleasure of the holiday. Use a different Charterer next time.

Quote Originally Posted by davidjackson View Post
    I agree with this scenario. I feel sorry for the OP but I don’t think he would be successful in challenging the charter company.

From their perspective, the boat went out with a windlass, there was a hand-over process (presumably) and it was returned damaged. They will not have time for argument, they’ll get it repaired as quickly as possible and returned to the fleet, especially in high season. Doubles they’ll pass the costs to his insurance policy, that’s why it’s recommended to buy it.

Time to move on. Don’t let it spoil the pleasure of the holiday. Use a different Charterer next time.
    I don't think if the same thing happened again with a different charter company that the out come wouldn't be the same .
    The boat when out with an workable windlass and return with a broken one .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

To return to my point about a snubber I would expect a charter boat to be supplied with a chain hook and rope and an instruction to use it when anchored. Am I expecting too much of charter companies? I bought my boat from a charter company and it had one, though I subsequently replaced the hook as I did not like the type because it was hard to unhook.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman_E View Post
    To return to my point about a snubber I would expect a charter boat to be supplied with a chain hook and rope and an instruction to use it when anchored. Am I expecting too much of charter companies? I bought my boat from a charter company and it had one, though I subsequently replaced the hook as I did not like the type because it was hard to unhook.
    Norman to be honest, in all the time we cruisered Greece and Croatia I have never seen a charter using one .
    If they are supplied I guess the charters have no idea what they are .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Got my anchor stuck in a fissure in rock a few years ago ... there was no way it was going to break out. The windlass ground to a halt and the bow sunk a good few inches before the anchor operator stopped pressing the 'up' button. Nothing broke off or ripped out (Bav 36 from 1999 so typical AWB) .... had to dive to recover the anchor.

They are very powerful things but should not be able to rip themselves out before a trip or clutch slip - especially on a charter boat as they really need to be idiot proof - and a corroded or faulty contact jamming the thing on shouldn't cause serious damage to the boat.

I would think the main cause is that of production boats. The type used by such companies are built to a price and everything is screwed down not bolted. The windlass was not installed in a decent mannar as the breaker should easily have stopped such an incident.

Mate of mine stripped the rear bolts out of his windlass (not the platform) and bent the front ones through almost 90 degrees during a very snatchy night in Cemaes Bay. Had never heard of a snubber, always left the chain wrapped around the windlass. Fortunately, enough meat in the casting to drill oversize and re-tap.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Indeed so Rupert. I would expect that in all cases the failure point will be the sub-structure that the windlass is bolted to rather than the windlass or the bolts.

Richard
    I'd expect the opposite. Surely it should be designed to trip-out on overload or for the bolts to fail BEFORE any structural damage to the boat?

+1 to those who have already said it

Keep your position and arguments simple:

Provided the windlass clutch and/or electrical overload breaker were fitted and maintained correctly it should not be possible to pull the windlass out of its mounting.
    Last edited by Dave100456; 24-06-19 at 21:44.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast