Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wright & Beyer Kitchen Rudder

Does anyone here have experience of a Wright and Beyer Kitchen Rudder?

If it helps it's from 1976 on a 31ft boat.

Default Re: Wright & Beyer Kitchen Rudder

Yepp, had 'em on the Dartmouth practice boats in early 70s. Dunno about the Wright and Beyer bit though. Hard work getting neutral (for'd and aft thrust) balanced, Every boat had a different balance point.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

I remember the 32-foot cutters on my first ship, a Colony class cruiser, having Kitchen gear. I think Victorious had them but I can't be sure. I had a go at operating them but they took some getting used to. The cutters had a tiller and a small bronze handwheel mounted underneath that was geared to the Kitchen deflectors. There was also a version for wheel-steered craft and that had a small wheel coaxial with the steering wheel that operated the deflectors. The engine did not to have a reversing gearbox.

There's quite a bit of information on the internet about the Kitchen gear. Apparently Kitchen was the inventor and Wright & Beyer, Birkenhead, was the company that manufactured it
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

I hope I'm not the only person who hasn't the foggiest idea what you chaps are talking about. I'm going to have to search the internet methinks.

Edit - Five minutes later and I'm starting to understand!
    Last edited by Dipper; 22-06-19 at 19:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipper View Post
    I hope I'm not the only person who hasn't the foggiest idea what you chaps are talking about. I'm going to have to search the internet methinks.
    I think you'll find a better description there than I could give!

Aha! right then!I have just bought a Fairey Bulldog, its a 31ft displacement motorboat, much like a Mitchell 31, very few of them.

My Bulldog has a kitchen gear fitted, its the same system that was fitted to the Watercraft and Fairey build MSB's that the Navy used in the 70's.

I have 2 wheels, co-axial, the aft one has a handle on it, winding it several turns, opens and closes the kitchen gear, there is an indicator on the dash that shows ahead, neutral, reverse, all of which of course when the Borg Warner gearbox on the back of the engine is in fwd gear. All fully understood, makes sense, and seems to respond as I expect it would.

The other wheel, i have a question about, an 8 spoke bronze affair, one spoke has a ring/ridge on which suggests that is straight ahead, when chugging along and wish to steer port or stbd, I would expect the wheel to turn at least maybe 2 turns lock to lock, but probably not more than 5 turns lock to lock. However, this wheel, seems to be spring loaded in the ahead position and self centres, the force to overcome this feels counter intuitive to me, its quite an effort and I don't want to be damaging it further if something is wrong. Half a turn is quite a lot of effort, it does seem to turn the boat well, but perhaps not as much as I would expect. Notable turns better when engine is in gear, which I suppose makes sense given the rudder gear.

So, after all that waffle if you haven't nodded off, does anyone recognise that as a feature of the Kitchen gear? Or do I need to lift the lazarette floor and investigate? Only just bought the boat, so still learning.

(By way of reference, I'd driven a lot and wide variety of boats over 40 years, from sailing dinghies to offshore racers, from ribs to 80ft gin palaces)

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Oh yes. Not at first hand, but in the summer of 1973 I managed to put Mytica, all eighteen feet of her, aground whilst trying to navigate Faversham Creek only to be passed by the tanker ‘B.P. Haulier’ going up the creek stern first

Kitchen rudder.
    Last edited by Minn; 22-06-19 at 20:02.

I used the new boat with its fancy rudder again both Saturday and Sunday.

I am starting to master manoeuvring with it, its very different to anything else!

I still question whether the steering wheel is quite right, seems really odd to be working against a spring?

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    I remember the 32-foot cutters on my first ship, a Colony class cruikser, having Kitchen gear. I think Victorious had them but I can't be sure. I had a go at operating them but they took some getting used to. The cutters had a tiller and a small bronze handwheel mounted underneath that was geared to the Kitchen deflectors. There was also a version for wheel-steered craft and that had a small wheel coaxial with the steering wheel that operated the deflectors. The engine did not to have a reversing gearbox.

There's quite a bit of information on the internet about the Kitchen gear. Apparently Kitchen was the inventor and Wright & Beyer, Birkenhead, was the company that manufactured it
    I got some way old memories of using a cutter fitted with the gear at Jupiter Point. That was the RN sailing centre not far from Torpoint. I was an Instructor at HMS Fisgard at the time and used to take the trainees out for harbour trips under the guise of adventure training.

Great fun for me learning how to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    I got some way old memories of using a cutter fitted with the gear at Jupiter Point. That was the RN sailing centre not far from Torpoint. I was an Instructor at HMS Fisgard at the time and used to take the trainees out for harbour trips under the guise of adventure training.

Great fun for me learning how to use it!
    Was I right to say the engine didn't need to have a reversing gearbox?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast