Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why is Woolverstone Marina so expensive?

Whenever I compare marina prices on the Orwell, all are much the same EXCEPT for Woolverstone. Why is that? It’s on a fairly ‘fetchy’ stretch of the river and I imagine things get a bit bumpy there during a strong nor-wester or a southeasterly. Is it just the pretty location that commands the premium?

Default Re: Why is Woolverstone Marina so expensive?

Perhaps it's because it's owned by MDL and berth-holders get free nights at other MDL sites. I don't like it as there can be a lot of current and swell in there. RHYC used to be cheaper but I haven't been there for a few years.
    Not all who wander are lost

Even the 5* showerbloack doesn't rate the obscene prices thay charge.
    The "restaurant" even closes at 1800 on a Sunday and the shelter is indifferent at best.
    No local services to speak of.
    Not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by fredrussell View Post
    Whenever I compare marina prices on the Orwell, all are much the same EXCEPT for Woolverstone. Why is that?
    It helps keep the riff-raff like us out!

Are they full? if yes then the answer is simply 'because they can'....

We had a season there on a swinging mooring about 5 years ago. We are now at SYH on a swinging mooring and the only thing I miss ( apart from the prices ) is the water taxi service offered by Wolvestone. The staff were always pleasant and helpful though.

We're in our 4th season at Woolverstone. Shower block took too long to re-furb but they are fab now. I know they are cheaper moorings to be had but my wife loves the location and if that helps to get her sailing that gets my vote. We are one in from the hammerhead and only issue I've had was with some plonker going up river at about 15 kts, almost lifted some lighter boats out of the river and onto the pontoon, cost me a fairlead. There's some movement from passing freight traffic but we rarely have an uncomfortable night.

Restaurant has a much better menu this season I think it's operated by the folk that run the pub up at Holbrook. They have a tough ask in my view, Pin Mill is a short walk away and it's easy to get tempted, and you can't blame them for running a shortened season they're a business that needs to make a profit. The Sunday roasts at Woolverstone are really good now, much improved.

Staff are excellent, pleasant, helpful. I don't think they're full so worth 'negotiating'

We researched prices prior to our short-lived move to the Orwell and Woolverstone last month. Unfortunately SWMBO took an unexpectedly swift descent down the steps into the saloon resulting in various fractures a few weeks after our arrival so we cancelled the contract and returned to the Broads as the mooring costs were a little high for what will be a missed season.

Whilst they do charge more than others in the area we didn’t think it was excessive and when freedom berthing, fuel at cost (we have a mobo) and the favourable contract that allows cancellation (not that we planned or wanted to take advantage of that particular clause) were factored in we didn't think the premium was too bad and when location was taken into account (we like the place) the decision made itself. I guess we all have our preferences but to my mind it is the best of the Orwell marinas.

Fair comments all. I wish it was a bit cheaper as it’s a stone’s throw from my house. I wish marinas had a ‘pauper’s rate’ where you got a stripped down service on the least desirable pontoon. Obviously that’s not going to happen, but if the decline in boat ownership often discussed on here is actually happening, maybe they will have to.

Quote Originally Posted by RivalRedwing View Post
    Are they full?
    Don't think so! They rang me a few weeks ago chasing a quote from 2015!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast