Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Harbour dues without a receipt? Just donít pay

Somewhat shocked this morning to be asked up the Beaulieu river for an anchoring fee by the lad in a dory - without a receipt. He told me he didnít have receipts on him. How convenient: how about you go and get some and then come back; Iíll still be here. He said he couldnít go back but could email me one later.

No thanks!

I donít expect Lord Montagu would know or care what his staff are doing, when thereís so much easy money around, you have to do so little for it, and your customers are either rich or unthinking or both.

Default Re: Harbour dues without a receipt? Just donít pay

Quote Originally Posted by BelleSerene View Post
    I don’t expect Lord Montagu would know or care what his staff are doing, when there’s so much easy money around, you have to do so little for it, and your customers are either rich or unthinking or both.
    I should think the estate's finance director would be interested to learn that there is an opportunity for fees to be diverted into someone's pocket. Even assuming the staff are as honest as the day is long, all income should be accounted for and a duplicate receipt provides the means.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Quote Originally Posted by BelleSerene View Post
    Somewhat shocked this morning to be asked up the Beaulieu river for an anchoring fee by the lad in a dory - without a receipt. He told me he didn’t have receipts on him. How convenient: how about you go and get some and then come back; I’ll still be here. He said he couldn’t go back but could email me one later.

No thanks!

I don’t expect Lord Montagu would know or care what his staff are doing, when there’s so much easy money around, you have to do so little for it, and your customers are either rich or unthinking or both.
    Bugger! I'll have to stop dressing up as a young lad and scrap the dory. Or maybe find another anchorage to prey on.

Had this happen to me once in France. Think it was the Lezardrieux river (might have been Treg.)

Picked up a buoy.

Within 10 minutes a totally plastic boat (not even fenders) pulled up alongside and just somehow seemed genuine despite lack of sign-writing.

Paid a reasonable sum but no receipt available.

There was a sailing club over on the east bank so assumed the buoy belonged to them and didn’t see a harbour master rib so assume it was genuine but often wondered.

I had similar at Harty Ferry round the back the Swale. Basically there's a load of drying creeks nearby with various yacht clubs providing waiting buoys if there's not enough tide to get in. The pilot book states which ones you can use and how they are marked up, sizes of boats that can use them etc, I was on one marked CCC, Conyer Cruising Club.

Lovely sunny evening, settled down in the cockpit with a cold beer and a couple of Herbert's arrive in a small open fishing boat.

'Hello mate, you're on one of our moorings and that'll be £10 please,'

I take his painter and tie it around a winch and 'Go and get my wallet,' which was code for go and get the pilot book. I come back sit on the side of the boat and show him the text about what's what.

You could tell instantly he just wanted to vanish, his mate went bright red and also looked like he'd rather be somewhere else. They mumbled something about not having their 'harbour plan' with them and attempted to untie the boat and leave but unfortunately it was tied to my winch which was out of their reach.

Just for fun I kept them hostage for about 10 minutes asking questions about the moorings, fishing, where he was from etc, all the time they both looked increasingly uncomfortable until I untied them!

That evening I posted about this on YBW's East Coast Forum and within about 1/2 hour had the blokes name and details, he is known for this apparently. Small world!
    Last edited by xyachtdave; 23-06-19 at 16:31. Reason: typo

Had the same in Portland harbour many years ago. I had had a rough passage singlehanded across Lyme Bay, and was pretty knackered. Even as I was preparing to anchor and still in my heavy weather gear a scruffy open boat pulled alongside demanding almost as much as a marina berth 'for anchoring'.

I replied in a few choice words that I hadnt even anchored yet and come back when I was secured and had had something to eat and a sleep. Not surprisingly they didnt re-appear.
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

In Mozambique I was stopped on a remote beach and asked for a fee for walking on the beach. Same if you anchor in any remote location.

North and south Mozambique seen to be different countries as if you clear in at the capital in the south you are asked (demand) a clearing in fee in the northern towns.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Quote Originally Posted by xyachtdave View Post
    I had similar at Harty Ferry round the back the Swale. .......................That evening I posted about this on YBW's East Coast Forum and within about 1/2 hour had the blokes name and details, he is known for this apparently. Small world!
    Dave, I can't see this on the EC forum?
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oldharry View Post
    Had the same in Portland harbour many years ago.
    There was someone trying a similar trick at Coll a few years back.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Cantata View Post
    Dave, I can't see this on the EC forum?
    This was about 4 or 5 years ago, Iíd imagine the thread itís still there if you search.

The rather excellent East Coast Pilot saved me a tenner!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast