Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Harbour dues without a receipt? Just donít pay

Quote Originally Posted by Rogershaw View Post
    In Mozambique I was stopped on a remote beach and asked for a fee for walking on the beach. Same if you anchor in any remote location.
    Many years ago we used to camp by the lagoon at Sao Martinho do Bilene, north of LM. As soon as tents pitched, locasl would come out of the bush asking for money to guard the tents or, put another way, if you don't pay we'll trash the tents. One rand was good investment.

Quote Originally Posted by xyachtdave View Post
    This was about 4 or 5 years ago, Iíd imagine the thread itís still there if you search.
    The rather excellent East Coast Pilot saved me a tenner!
    That's a bit weird. The post is dated yesterday!
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

After the event I wrote to the harbour master to inform her. They continue to close ranks and tell some quite obvious untruths, for example:

- that the boatman had been right to charge me a swinging-mooring fee for my anchorage, on the ground that a buoy was the closest mooring allowed to where I had anchored. Of course, there's no valid cause in law for charging that: you can ask me to move because you don't allow anchoring in that part of the river, and you can charge an anchoring fee for anchoring anyway. You can't just make up charges.

- that despite the lack of any sign indicating allowable stretches for anchoring, I should have consulted their website or printed material to find out before anchoring! Don't know about you, but I don't check council websites for parking locations, I just look at the road signs. And I wonder how these petty people expect you to know what's on their printed material that you can't even get access to while you're still afloat?!

- that because the software in their harbour office will send you a receipt by email, the man in a dory who collects cash - not electronic payment - isn't obliged to give a paper receipt on receipt of payment. He is.

- that my own attitude and behaviour had somehow been negative. Sometimes you wish CCTV were more prevalent!

- that when, the following weekend, I returned to the river and offered payment in their office, including for that previous weekend's anchoring, I had stayed on a short-stay pontoon without permission and should first have called over VHF. In fact, that's precisely what I did, and the reason I tied up to the mid river pontoon is because the harbour office specifically directed me there over the radio - as friends coming up the river behind me overheard.

Petty officialdom sometimes seems to think it can make up the law or the rules of reasonable behaviour as it goes along. I know Beaulieu has something of a reputation in this regard.
    Last edited by BelleSerene; 11-07-19 at 20:56. Reason: A word was missing

Quote Originally Posted by Cantata View Post
    Dave, I can't see this on the EC forum?
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/archive/in.../t-397720.html

I had the same on South Caicos Island … "$5 to guard your dinghy mister?"

Also a similar experience when I enquired recently about anchoring in Cellar Bay on the Yealm in a completely undeveloped, and rather exposed area of the river. £19 per night! The slight difference being that the charge was legally, if not morally, valid. My 5 day excursion to England's south coast will be enough for another decade or so.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Also a similar experience when I enquired recently about anchoring in Cellar Bay on the Yealm in a completely undeveloped, and rather exposed area of the river. £19 per night! The slight difference being that the charge was legally, if not morally, valid. My 5 day excursion to England's south coast will be enough for another decade or so.
    Don’t want to confuse the topic, as Beaulieu is generally believed to have the historic right to charge for anchoring. The issues with Beaulieu were that
    - when you anchored in apparently the wrong place, they went well beyond their right to ask you to move and to charge you for anchoring (both of which I offered) and they invented the right to charge the higher fee for a swinging mooring, simply because there was one lying nearby which I hadn’t even touched!
    - and that they demanded cash without giving a receipt at the time.

But in the Yealm, what makes you think an anchoring charge would be legal at all? I do not believe it is.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Tell the importuning oiks that under the Bribery Act the Master of a British ship who pays harbour dues without a receipt commits a criminal offence!

(It’s almost true... it’s what tell my Masters to say to the folks in Marlboro Country...)
    Last edited by Minn; 12-07-19 at 17:14.

Quote Originally Posted by BelleSerene View Post
    But in the Yealm, what makes you think an anchoring charge would be legal at all? I do not believe it is.
    As far as I can make out from its website, the River Yealm Harbour Authority has the powers to make such a charge. The designated harbour extends to include Cellar Bay. Charges are made for overnight stays, and the charge is the same for anchoring, mooring, or visitor pontoons.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    As far as I can make out from its website, the River Yealm Harbour Authority has the powers to make such a charge. The designated harbour extends to include Cellar Bay. Charges are made for overnight stays, and the charge is the same for anchoring, mooring, or visitor pontoons.
    Yep. http://www.yealmharbourauthority.co....arges_2019.pdf
    Entirely legal. Also entirely unjustifiable, IMO. If brexit wasn't sufficient incentive to abandon the UK this sort of shenanigans certainly is. Does anyone know of another country in Europe where anchoring outside of a developed harbour incurs a charge? I certainly don't.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 12-07-19 at 15:43.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast