Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Plymouth Hoe, anchorage?

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    ?

Suspect you could be anchoring into rock and if you can get ashore, you are along way from any points of interest.
    Unless you're picking up a hire car.
    Anyhow, anchored off Drake's Island and got ashore, perhaps not entirely legitimately, via a pontoon in the corner of the dock N of Millbay marina.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 24-06-19 at 21:26.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    We have HMS Queen Elizabeth off the breakwater at the moment and a bunch of very loud aircraft doing their thing on Saturday (29th June) for Armed Forces Day. I shall be staying away.
    Yes, it looms large behind the breakwater. There was what I took to be a helo carrier there a couple of days before. HMS Ocean? I thought it it had been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngmar View Post
    Bingo, it seems someone found a fan shell there: https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/qhm/ply...f-plymouth-hoe

Fan shells (Pinna Nobilis) are pretty cool and definitely at risk from anchor chains sweeping around and tearing them out, at which point they die. I've seen a torn out one diving in the Balearics once and it was a sad sight. It was nearly a meter long.
    Never heard of fanshells before...now I have.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/outdoors/...t_shells.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    I may be mixing memories as it was a long time ago but ISTR taking the inflatable ( another story ) from a mooring off the Hoe into RWYCs' basin and being made very welcome.
    A few years ago we made use of the RWYC moorings and were also made very welcome. The only problem was that we couldn’t find anywhere to leave the dinghy when going ashore - QAB wanted to charge us for a short stay for the dinghy... We eventually resolved it by asking and getting a place temporarily on the Pilot’s pontoon as they agreed that there was no where to legitimately (without paying an arm and a leg) moor a dinghy for a trip ashore!!!
    Things may have changed now though.

Dum vivimus vivamus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12