Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Portable Electric Winch handels

On our (40ft 12T) ketch, with a mahoosive overlapping genoa, the only time you might wish for an electric winch-handle is when you fluff a tack. Raising the main is 'exercise'.

I've had a Winchrite for 9 years now. In fact I'm on my second. The first lasted 8 years before the battery finally gave out. I could have had the battery replaced for £200+ but decided to splash out on a new Mark 2 Winchrite instead as it's even better than the original - Li ion battery with double the capacity, brushless motor, more torque etc.

I have a 40 footer and to me there are several advantages of the Winchrite over 'proper' electric winches.
    Firstly, one Winchrite can be used on all winches.
    Secondly, it is less dangerous as you can 'feel' the torque being applied. I have been on two different boats with 'proper' electric winches and witnessed two minor disasters as a result of the lack of feel for the torque. In one case the genoa furling line was pulled clean out of the furling drum, breaking it and in the second incident the furling mainsail was ripped when the outhaul was pulled without the in-haul being released. Both accidents would be avoidable with better operator training but neither would have happened with a Winchrite.
    Finally, the Winchrite costs about 20% of the price of one 'proper' fitted electric winch.

And no, I have no association with Winchrite, other than as a throughly satsified customer.
    Last edited by Playtime; 17-09-19 at 16:40.
    ------------------------------------
    Loves sailing, hates gardening

So how long will the battery last , I know it all depend on how much you use it , but how about some idea guys
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Playtime View Post
    the genoa furling line was pulled clean out of the furling drum
    My sailing instructor said to NEVER winch a furling line. A rule I have tried to stick to over the years. The reason (I know now) is because if you've got the halyard wrapped you can pull down the forestay. Surely it must be EVEN WORSE to put the furling line on an electric winch?

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    So how long will the battery last . . . .
    I have never run it flat but then I have a 12V socket in the cockpit and top up the charge after a prolonged period of use. Before I had the 12V socket I used it on several cross channel passages without it going flat and have hauled a 13 stone man up the mast twice in quick succession also without problem - note both of these were with the older style battery which was half the capacity of the later model. Unless you are racing round the cans all day with a big overlapping genny and a F5 breeze I would suggest that the battery would cope with a 'normal' day's cruising without problem. You can then charge it overnight from the service battery ready for the next passage.
    ------------------------------------
    Loves sailing, hates gardening

Quote Originally Posted by roaringgirl View Post
    On our (40ft 12T) ketch, with a mahoosive overlapping genoa, the only time you might wish for an electric winch-handle is when you fluff a tack. Raising the main is 'exercise'.
    +1

I suppose their next model will come with a remote control ;-)

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Just read this thread and bought a Winchrite
    It arrived. Like Harken kit, it has American Instructions. Unlike Japanese Instructions, American Instructions are easy to follow. They just assume that you are Homer Simpson.

Raising the mainsail is surprisingly easy -PTFE track. I am 67 and unfit and I can get it a fair way up before needing the winch. The genoa is another story.
    Last edited by Kukri; 20-09-19 at 22:20.

Why not get fit then?

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by roaringgirl View Post
    Why not get fit then?
    I’ve started walking to the pub...

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    I’ve started walking to the pub...
    Let us know when you get there ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast