Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Which anchor chain for 24 foot, 2600 lb boat

Hi,
    I need to buy anchor chain for my 24 foot Achilles 24. I already got 30 meters of nylon 12 mm rope, and thinking about getting 15 or 20 meters of 6 mm chain. My main sailing area is River Blackwater, with occasional short day cruises (Felixstowe, Ramsgate). Is it good or I should change something?

Default Re: Which anchor chain for 24 foot, 2600 lb boat

Seems OK, but I'd go for 30m of chain, and think about ways to use mooring lines and sheets to extend the anchor warp for >10m depth.

12mm warp may seem large but ease of handling is important.

Dare I ask what anchors you have ?
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Good question. I'll be interested in all the replies.

I reckon the Achilles is on the border between being recommended 6mm and 8mm chain.

In theory 6mm is ample, and 35 metres of 6mm will weigh the same in the locker overhanging the bow, as 20 metres of 8mm...

...and the claim that heavier chain provides a more horizontal pull on the hook, seems in doubt under circumstances when the tide or wind are extreme, because the rode forms a straight line in spite of its weight.

I've heard most boats in the Caribbean anchor with rope alone...I guess they rely on sand being less abrasive than rocky ground in the UK. But the idea that catenary is a contributory consideration in selecting chain rode, seems undone by them managing without it.
    Last edited by dancrane; 24-06-19 at 18:53.

Quote Originally Posted by slawosz View Post
    Hi,
    I need to buy anchor chain for my 24 foot Achilles 24. I already got 30 meters of nylon 12 mm rope, and thinking about getting 15 or 20 meters of 6 mm chain. My main sailing area is River Blackwater, with occasional short day cruises (Felixstowe, Ramsgate). Is it good or I should change something?
    My 19ft Sea Wych has 1/4" chain . I Think you need to go heavier than 6mm for the Achilles 24. 7 mm, if you can get, it perhaps
    My preference is for all chain ( 90ft in my case)

I would have thought that 20 meters of 6 mm chain plus your rope is adequate for East coast, but a lot depends on what anchor you are attaching to it!
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

I have plough anchor. There is an eye on the bottom off anchor, should I attach there some rope to retrive? I have seen some tests on youtube and it can dig quite hard in the mud.
    Last edited by slawosz; 24-06-19 at 14:31.

When I had a 26' Westerly Centaur I had 6mm chain and a genuine Bruce. Never had a problem.
    Present boat is a Centurion 32 with 8mm chain and a CQR.
    In both cases the rode is all chain.
    I prefer the Bruce to the CQR but I can live with that because, in case of an emergency, the second anchor is a Bruce.
    Should we paint what is on a face, what is inside it, or what is behind it?

I changed from 20m 8mm to 30m G40 6mm which was less cost, nearly as strong, less weight to pull up and a longer chain so a win all round. That is on a 26ft 2.5T boat with a rather small chain locker. If I remember correctly there was an offer at EYEmarine which made it a bit of a bargain. It is worth having extra warp that you can add in exceptional conditions but you should be fine with 30m chain and 30m warp for normal anchoring.

Quote Originally Posted by slawosz View Post
    Hi,
    I've done plenty of anchoring with not much chain. My first boat, 28ft, came with about 3m of chain.
    Enough nylon rope for 5x depth is good.
    I sometimes use a weight part way down the rode.

It depends what you want.
    I don't go looking to anchor through storms, if I get caught, I will put out a lot of rope and possibly a second anchor.
    Not having a windlass for the anchor, I don't want to be lifting 15m of chain plus the anchor if it's not necessary.
    Weight in the bow will affect the performance of your boat.

I would suggest that 4m of chain is the minimum to reduce chafe on the rope from the seabed.

IMHO, the worst thing you can do is make your kit so heavy that you don't feel like anchoring for lunch.
    So that's the balance.

My boat a Moody 31 at just over 4Tons had 6mm chain which was fine but I thought maybe a bit light.
    I had a discussion with the excellent people at Eye Co and I replaced it with 30 metres of 6mm grade 40 chain together with 20 metres of 12mm octoplait. Most of my anchoring is east coast and occasionally abroad in Holland/Belgium.
    I anchor mostly in fairly benign conditions but they said that the 6mm was fine with plenty of strength.
    They did me a good deal with discount off the on line price and did the splice for me.
    They are probably the best marine company I have dealt with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast