Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Which anchor chain for 24 foot, 2600 lb boat

Quote Originally Posted by slawosz View Post
    Hi,
    I need to buy anchor chain for my 24 foot Achilles 24. I already got 30 meters of nylon 12 mm rope, and thinking about getting 15 or 20 meters of 6 mm chain. My main sailing area is River Blackwater, with occasional short day cruises (Felixstowe, Ramsgate). Is it good or I should change something?
    Here on the East Coast your proposal is good, you don't need more than 20m of chain. Most of the places you will be anchoring will be soft mud so, dare I say, and in my experience, most anchor designs will be good.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

6mm would be fine

I'm persuaded by (and I already held) the broadly-held view here, that 6mm chain is strong enough for Slawosz's Achilles.

Is Jimmy Green's broad recommendation (below) made to cover very heavy boats, or extremely challenging conditions, or to prevent anyone complaining about the chandlery's advice after suffering exceptional circumstances...or, just to sell heavier chain?

6mm DIN766 Grade 40 Anchor Chain is generally suitable for yachts up to approximately 6 metres, length overall.

Six metres is a shade under 20ft, and the DIN766 Grade 40 chain is better than standard.

The recommended chains size for my Snapdragon 24 is 8mm, but I've recently changed to 6mm because, following an illness, the weight of the 8mm plus my oversized Delta was too much for me.

The breaking strain of 6mm chain is well over 2 tons, so the probability of me needing to anchor in conditions that will put even a ton of strain on my rode in and around the Solent is pretty close to zero. The same for you on the east coast.

The one thing I would add is a rope snubber. Mine is a length of 10mm nylon - an offcut from my mooring lines - with a rubber snubber like this
    32-308.jpg
    and a bit of flexible pipe to protect from chafe where it goes over the bow roller. One end has an eye spice to go over the Samson post, the other has two chain hooks, one sized for the anchor chain, the other for my mooring chain. If you don't let out all your chain, use the snubber to give a bit of slack in the chain where it comes on boat. This has two advantages, it reduces snatching and shoch loads and it stops the graunching noises from the anchor roller as the boat moves.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Thanks. And if I would like to travel further north (up to Edinburgh) or cross channel, should I get more chain/rope or it would be still good? Although I am not planning bigger voyages for now, but never say never.

I doubt you'll want to weigh the boat down (and fill her limited stowage space) with more warps and chain/ground tackle than you need, until you plan the longer trip.

I'm interested in where you will secure the anchor chain. There's no Samson post on any Achilles 24 that I've seen. Are the mooring-warp cleats bolted to anything sturdier than the thickness of the glassfibre? Are two of those cleats likely to be enough to bear the forces from a bridle with a chain-hook attached?

Quote Originally Posted by slawosz View Post
    Thanks. And if I would like to travel further north (up to Edinburgh) or cross channel, should I get more chain/rope or it would be still good? Although I am not planning bigger voyages for now, but never say never.
    You'll probably be fine with 45/50m of mixed rode, but there's nothing to stop you adding more rope. I tend to the view that, as long as you can store it, there's no such thing as too much

I wouldn't add more chain; I would think an Achilles would take less kindly to the extra weight than my tubby and already slow Snapdragon, and pulling a load of chain up from a deep anchorage is an overrated experience.
    Steve

In case you're thinking of buying a big reel of 3-strand rope for deep anchoring, it's probably worth looking at multiplait first...

...by all accounts, it doesn't kink in the monstrous entangling way that 3-strand will, so it won't be a vile thing to handle and store.

A lot of people are recommending a mixed rode.
    Fair enough I guess... IF you are certain that there is a clear, friendly, bottom with no sharp rocks or outcrops in the vicinity.
    And, no, I don't rely on what the charts say about the bottom if I cannot see with my own eyes. In fact, if possible the first thing that I do after anchoring is to pull myself down the chain, hand over hand, to see for myself if there is a possibility for the rode to wrap itself round anything nasty. Not unusual around these parts (Malta).
    Should we paint what is on a face, what is inside it, or what is behind it?

If there's any load at all on the anchor, the rope will be off the bottom, so not normally very vulnerable. I can see a strong argument for all chain on a coral bottom, but there isn't a lot of coral on the east coast, just a lot of mud.

All chain is fine if you have a windlass to heave it all up - in fact it's probably better as the gypsy tends not to deal with rope very well, but doing it by hand is hard work if you're in deeper water than usual.

+1 for the octoplait rope, mine always feeds away down the hawse pipe under its own weight, with no problem and no tangles. Normally, the only bit I have to feed down the pipe is the rope/chain splice
    Steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast