Thread: Selden Furlin

Question Selden Furlin

I have a Selden Furlin inmast system on our boat. It has always been relatively hard work to furl from the cockpit but dead easy from the mast. On an earlier thread I read that a 10mm line was recommended for the furling line, mine was 12mm so suspecting that this was not helping I replaced it with some new liros 10mm braid on braid and now find that the line tends to slip on the drum. The new line is quite shiny and I wonder if this is the cause. Have i bought the wrong stuff? Or will this shiny line dull in time? would washing it help? or should I buy a new line with a matt finish?
    If voting changed anything, they wouldn't let you do it.

Default Re: Selden Furlin

10mm polyester double braid is correct. If it's too slippery, you can run it through a rolled up piece of sandpaper (I'd guess 150 or 300 grit) in your hand until less shiny, which should make it a bit grippier.
    Last edited by Yngmar; 24-06-19 at 15:08.

Default Re: Selden Furlin

You could do what I have done, made it possible to lock and unlock the ratchet from the cockpit. If I can find it i will post a picture on here later. Ihave had inmast since I bought my Corsair in 1992 I had a new Seldon mast 15 years ago, I found in severe conditions it was not possible to stop the sail when reefed creeping out, so not wanting to go forward and lock the ratchet I made it possible to lock it from the cockpit it has worked perfectly ever since certainly 10 years, I have vertical batons also totally changed my sailing for the better
    I will look for the pictures now.
    Mike this is not the picture I was looking for but its a frame out of a video, the line to the starboard side goes through a small dingy jammer . in the cockpit the line to the starboard side goes back to the cockpit but has a bungee cord attached to always return the ratchet to the locked position once the sail is out and the line released from the jammer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pagetslady; 24-06-19 at 18:07. Reason: picture added