Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Default Re: Use of the word "Wild"

It amused me that so many people get hung up on words changing meaning in different situations or indeed entirely. Bent springs to mind as original meaning tied or bound but now means curved such as induced by such tieing in an archers bow; awful which was closer in meaning to awesome originally but now means horrid etc; stiletto which was a knife and now merely a sharp pointed heel; and gay is a more recent word which changed meaning.

Wild is a label and as more people demand more and more luxury and are less and less well equipped to deal with a non regulated environment those sites that are non regulated need to be distinguished by some word. Non regulated is a mouthful - wild is quick.

Organic as a label is indicative of a desire to avoid inorganic fertilisers made in a chemical works, and by extension includes avoiding other products of such chemical works. There may indeed be a difference in nitrogen uptake and run off between manure and ammonium nitrate, though I know manure slurry can still kill streams.

I prefer organic products. The animals are kept in better conditions thus are less abused and incidentally taste better. If they taste better then I need less of them to enhance my dinner. Balances out their higher cost and reduced productivity per acre.

My preference for organic vegetables is similar. It was realised some 20 years ago that the massive factory produced nitrate fertilisers usage started during WW2 had not reached the water table under London. No one knows the effects of cancer promoting nitrate pollution when these chemicals get finally there - man works in life times or more usually 5 year financial periods / election intervals but 50 years is nothing to mother earth. It might make the risk from preserved meats pale into utter triviality.
    A boat is for going places

Seems to be the thing these days...

Quote Originally Posted by Norwegian Cruising Guide
    This is a very attractive wild anchorage, slightly open to the NW, across the isthmus from Indre Hovdevågen.
    Ω

This usage, or misuse, does seem to be grounded deep in the bullshit zone...

...what sort of anchorage is not wild? Or is this a shortcut for the grossly ignorant and tragically dim, explaining something that ought to be self-explanatory, to those who cannot distinguish between a permanent mooring and an anchorage, which by definition is temporary?
    Last edited by dancrane; 28-06-19 at 10:34.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789