Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Use of the word "Wild"

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post
    See? The marketing witchcraft's worked on you!
    All food except water and salt is organic. It is a specific scientific word with a specific meaning regarding it's chemistry. It has nothig whatsoever to do with the completely unscientific new-age hippie woo-woo you've been taken in by.
    And there is no evidence or realistic reason to support the utterly unwarranted assertion quoted above.

Belladonna is, by your definition, 'organic'. How 'good' (another meaningless unscientific word in that context) is that for you? Or snake venom? Or excrement. All 'organic"...

Go figure...
    The Word Organic for food stuffs is to highlight the fertiliser used in growing that plant and the soil compostion , inorganic compounds are seem as compounds not produced by the plant itself in the process
    If we look at Carbon in the cylce organic These organic compounds are generated by cyanobacteria, algae, and higher plants both within the lakes or rivers or externally within the drainage basin and variously imported to the water bodies. These organic carbon-based compounds provide the materials and energy for subsequent metabolism within the ecosystem.

But Inorganic fertiliser and the compound assoiciated with the soil can not be called organic and therefore the food grown in it is not organic if we look at Nitrogen which is an essential element for plant growth and development; however, due to environmental pollution, high nitrate concentrations accumulate in the edible parts of these leafy vegetables, particularly if excessive nitrogen fertilizer has been applied. Consuming these crops can harm human health.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4025000/
    Sorry Wife is a Plant ecologist
    Last edited by FlyingGoose; 25-06-19 at 10:56.
    Flying birds have no master

I have a degree in botany/ecology and so does that make me a Plant ecologist?

All food except water and salt is organic. It is a specific scientific word with a specific meaning regarding it's chemistry. It has nothig whatsoever to do with the completely unscientific new-age hippie woo-woo you've been taken in by.
    And there is no evidence or realistic reason to support the utterly unwarranted assertion quoted above.

Belladonna is, by your definition, 'organic'. How 'good' (another meaningless unscientific word in that context) is that for you? Or snake venom? Or excrement. All 'organic"...

Go figure...
    Bollox, and you know it.

I grow the piggin stuff, I know the difference. I suggest that it is not the well established hippy know how that has addled my brain, that it is your brain that is stewing in a man made chemical toxic soup.

So, even on your terms, food that isnt (chemically) organic:
    E171 titanium dioxide.
    E172 iron oxides and hydroxides
    E173 aluminium
    E174 silver
    E175 gold
    E220 sulphur dioxide
    FUCTIFANO

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy32 View Post
    I have a degree in botany/ecology and so does that make me a Plant ecologist?
    Sorry my Wife is a Dr of Plant and Fresh water Ecology after getting her first class honours degree , and know works for the Scottish Goverment Stirling Univeristy, and the European Fresh water Frame Work directive, in the Process of finshing of 4 papers to submit for pulishing that will change the way fresh water is used around Scotland and potentially worldwide as it is a breakthrough no one has done before.
    So sorry I did not mention before
    Does that make her a plant Ecologist
    What a silly statment

Quote Originally Posted by Lon nan Gruagach View Post
    Organic food is not a marketing gimmick, but a realisation that contemporary farming is crap. Crap that produces crap food. Organic food, being of better quality, taste and nutrition, commands a superior price.
    There is not a shred of evidence that "organic" food is nutritionally better than any other. The "taste" aspect holds a little more water, but only because organic farming tends to be less intensive. "Quality" is a pure subjective notion.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

All food except water and salt is organic. It is a specific scientific word with a specific meaning regarding it's chemistry.
    Up to a point. Sure, "organic" has a specific meaning in chemistry, but that doesn't mean it has to have the same meaning everywhere else. Biologists talk about "organic matter", economists have "organic growth", doctors look for "organic disease" and, of course, the Soil Association calls some fertilisers and pesticides "organicTM", perhaps because they contain high levels of woo.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    There is not a shred of evidence that "organic" food is nutritionally better than any other. The "taste" aspect holds a little more water, but only because organic farming tends to be less intensive. "Quality" is a pure subjective notion.
    Slightly left field , but there is a wealth of Evidence showing that carcinogenic elements consumed by the Human body can cause cells to become cancerous , Deodrants, soaps , processed foods , smoking , and now the pesticides and inorganic fertillisers,
    Although still in early stages of research one needs to ask by putting so many inogranic chemicals into an organic body there might be a reaction . IMHO ofc but there does seem to be a link somewere.
    In regards to taste one can tell the diffrence from an organic tomato picked from the vine right away to thosethat sit is a cold storage facility held in Stasis until ready to put out on the shelves

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingGoose View Post
    Although still in early stages of research one needs to ask by putting so many inogranic chemicals into an organic body there might be a reaction . IMHO ofc but there does seem to be a link somewere.
    So the question arises - how does the body tell the difference between good potassium and nitrate ions from guano and the bad sort from a mine somewhere? And why does it react so badly to the lovely natural toxins produced in, say, rice left out overnight?

In regards to taste one can tell the diffrence from an organic tomato picked from the vine right away to those that sit is a cold storage facility held in Stasis until ready to put out on the shelves
    Well, exactly. It's the "picked off the vine" vs "cold storage facility" which makes the difference, not a load of woo about organic-ness.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingGoose View Post
    Slightly left field , but there is a wealth of Evidence showing that carcinogenic elements consumed by the Human body can cause cells to become cancerous , Deodrants, soaps , processed foods , smoking , and now the pesticides and inorganic fertillisers,
    In regards to taste one can tell the diffrence from an organic tomato picked from the vine right away to thosethat sit is a cold storage facility held in Stasis until ready to put out on the shelves

Given that copper sulphate (sorry; 'Bordeaux mix') is still an approved organic fungicide yet is very inorganic and very highly toxic, I'm not sure that organic agriculture can afford to be too vocal with it's environmental credentials.
    There are elements of organic agriculture that are very good and should be more widely adopted by farmers, but there are other elements that are both damaging and dangerous and exist only because of very narrow ideological constraints. In many cases organic chemical treatments are no safer than their conventional counterparts and are very often more environmentally persistent .
    A better alternative would be simply to take an evidence based approach to the effects of agricultural production and derive best practice from the results.

I'm sure that you can tell the difference in taste between a freshly picked tomato and one that has been ripened off the vine and put into cold storage. That has nothing to do with whether or not it is certified organic.

If qualifications are important, then I have a PhD in crop genetics and am actively researching in that field.
    Last edited by mel80; 25-06-19 at 12:45.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    There is not a shred of evidence that "organic" food is nutritionally better than any other.
    Thats a lie.
    FUCTIFANO

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast