Thread: Anodiser

Default Anodiser

I have an old Morse Control to replace a part thatís corroding badly. It was painted red but now its polished up and lovely I reckon the only way is to anodise it (all reports on lacquer seem to say its poor) so is there anywhere that is worth recommending?
    Cheers
    Pardon?

Default Re: Anodiser

Evidently not!
    Maybe more of a classic bike thing really, especially as you have only the one item to do and many anodising companies are looking for jobs of multiple hundreds / thousands in a batch. Or you could look for a DIY kit and have a dabble yourself
    Good luck anyway
    De'il ding a divot auf yer wame wi a flaughter spade

If it's corroded in any way, anodising will not hide any faults at all.

I had a set of 4 big aluminium cleats that I cleaned up as best as I could (sanded, buffed) and sent them off to be anodised by the company (who were very good) that were re-chroming my winches.

The results were rather disappointing and in the end I replaced them with new cleats (I was doing a 'restoration').

I reckon, to look acceptable, the cleat's surface would have to be almost as immaculate as a new unit.

+1 about surface preparation being key. My wife works in a company doing high tech coatings on alloy, magnesium and titanium, and they probably spend more time making sure the surface is good than they do applying the coating (which is similar in principle to anodizing, but a different method of application resulting in a harder surface with excellent shape fidelity that is suitable for engineering components). It is not suitable for one off jobs unless you've got very deep pockets!

I should say that when I say surface preparation, I mean at the microscopic level.

The only company so far is Star Anodising in Erith, Kent. Very helpful.
    for the surface issue, all traces of paint have been removed using scotch pads and buffing, any traces in crevices removed with a steel brush in a Dremel-type thing and then the inner (hidden) surface which is in box sections for lightness and strength have been sandblasted.
    I'm after corrosion resistance rather than bling, it is a 1982 Sadler 32 so not in the first flush of youth, but if the finish isn't to their liking they can return it and I'll paint it!
    Pardon?