Default Practice mooring bouy - Brighton

I’m finding my sea legs out of Brighton marina. A dull sailing area but lots of room to refine my skills and build experience. Where do the local schools use for practicing picking up a mooring bouy undersail? Any ideas for rigging something up myself with a round fender that wouldn’t just flow with the tide? I assume picking up a lobster pot is considered bad form.

Thanks

Default Re: Practice mooring bouy - Brighton

personally i would put picking up a mooring buoy under sail somewhat down my list of essential skills.
    if needed i'd set the buoy up to suit with a floating trailing line on a small fender.

If by picking up you mean stopping the boat head to wind at a buoy then a pot buoy is as good as anything. You don't need to hook it.
    With the boat in simonfraser's avatar I can understand why skill under sail is not one of his essentials.

Been a while since I passed Brighton, but didn't there used to be a yellow racing mark or two somewhere nearby?

Quote Originally Posted by simonfraser View Post
    personally i would put picking up a mooring buoy under sail somewhat down my list of essential skills.
    if needed i'd set the buoy up to suit with a floating trailing line on a small fender.
    That's a shame because that and mob under sail are two of a number of excellent ways of developing sailing skill, wind awareness and spatial awareness.

A dinghy style folding anchor, a long thin line and a round fender can give hours of practice at little cost.

You will find that on many sailing school yachts used to develop those essential skills.

I'm not aware of any suitable local mooring buoys. You could ask in lagoon what they do but sailing up to and stopping next to the BMYC marks without picking them up and capnsensible's suggestion of a small anchor with a line and fender both sound like good options for the boat handling part of the manoeuvre.

Or a fairly standard MOB test is a buoy or fender or 5 litre screen wash bottle attached to an old car tyre. It will drift with the tide, but not as fast as an unweighted tyre. If you can stop next to it to haul it back in, you can stop next to a mooring... I guess the snag is if you fail to pick it up a few times are you then having to put the engine on to go back, whereas an anchored buoy would sit there all the time.