Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A14

Default A14

I have to go oop north at the week end. I usually travel on the A14, but I am told there are major roadworks and traffic jams. Has anybody been up the A14 lately, and is the road unacceptably blocked?
    I respect my elders, but I can't find many now

Default Re: A14

40-50 mph limit on Cambridge to Huntingdon stretch. Avoid rush hour times and it runs fairly smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidofMersea View Post
    I have to go oop north at the week end. I usually travel on the A14, but I am told there are major roadworks and traffic jams. Has anybody been up the A14 lately, and is the road unacceptably blocked?
    I use this website almost daily for work around Suffolk. You can zoom in and press on roadworks to find details such as dates/delays, etc.
    https://suffolk.roadworks.org/

On Sunday I did Ipswich to Birmingham and the A14 was closed around Stowmarket, It added over half an hour to an already tedious drive when you include the 40mpg bits around Cambridge for about 10 miles and the 50mph stretch of the M6
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. -- Steven Wright

Our son when he visits relies on his app, wayz I think, and he finds that its recommendation to go via the M11 helps a lot on his trip back to the Midlands, though it sounds wrong.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

You can view a map of the whole country's trunk roads, with current hold-ups, estimates of when expected clear, future roadworks, etc. here -
    http://www.trafficengland.com

It is run by Highways England (formerly the Highways Agency).

We were held up on Sunday by the closure at Stowmarket too. The roadworks around Cambridge are a pain in the rush period.

I travel through the A14 roadworks regularly and it's usually no problem unless there's been an incident although it can be a drag during peak traffic periods

Google Maps has live traffic without a subscription, i use it all the time, and if you use it for navigation will suggest alternatives if there's a quicker route (much like Waze, indeed large parts of the Waze functionality is now also built into Google Maps since Google acquired Waze)

There is also a stretch at 40 mph from Brampton Hut going westwards. However I personally find the 50 mph for 12 miles on the M6 more disruptive than the A14 outside the rush hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurrawong_Kid View Post
    There is also a stretch at 40 mph from Brampton Hut going westwards. However I personally find the 50 mph for 12 miles on the M6 more disruptive than the A14 outside the rush hours.
    Ah yes, the M6 Roadwork. Goes on and on and on and ... and then you get North of Brum and oh joy, another 20 odd miles of roadworks

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast