Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A14

Default Re: A14

It can only be the UK muppets who constantly add extra lanes to existing roads. ...

It costs as much to add an extra lane as it does to build a new road.
    But you get 100% increase in capacity building a new road against 25% extra capacity adding an extra lane.
    Widening the same road does not improve the access to inaccessible parts of the UK. Our road network is the same today as it was 30 years ago. Yet everyone else builds new roads.

People are at risk of accidents during road works... There is no risk of traffic accidents building new roads because there is no traffic.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quite a long stretch north of Girton is closed at night and at weekends with detours in force while construction work continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    It can only be the UK muppets who constantly add extra lanes to existing roads. ...

But you get 100% increase in capacity building a new road against 25% extra capacity adding an extra lane.
    Widening the same road does not improve the access to inaccessible parts of the UK. Our road network is the same today as it was 30 years ago. Yet everyone else builds new roads.

People are at risk of accidents during road works... There is no risk of traffic accidents building new roads because there is no traffic.
    That's OK for countries like France that are mostly desert but British landowners tend not to take kindly to having their land pinched and want to be compensated. Even when that is done, The newts in the nearby ponds start to complain and the process of satisfying them can take twenty years, so the road doesn't get built at all.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post

I’ve found in my U.K. travels, that every place that I need to go, Has a road to it.

Inaccessible places tend to have nothing there... cause they are inaccessible. As such, they don’t need roads.

Ps... the a14 works between Cambridge and Huntingdon is because they are building a new road....

If you lot didn't keep driving up and down the A14 it would be clear when I wanted to pass through, and they wouldn't need to widen/supplement it.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidofMersea View Post
    I have to go oop north at the week end. I usually travel on the A14, but I am told there are major roadworks and traffic jams. Has anybody been up the A14 lately, and is the road unacceptably blocked?
    I'm curious to know where this "oop north" comes from. If it's supposed to mimic the way northerners speak, I have to tell you that nobody talks like that up here in the north of England. And it's certainly not how the Scots would speak.

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Quote Originally Posted by elton View Post
    I'm curious to know where this "oop north" comes from. If it's supposed to mimic the way northerners speak, I have to tell you that nobody talks like that up here in the north of England. And it's certainly not how the Scots would speak.

Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    Yorkshire.
    As a Yorkshireman, I have to say the "Oop" is a very poor rendering of the flat "U" that Yorkshire folk use. We actually distinguish our vowels much more clearly than southerners. I can say that with confidence as I don't speak with a Yorkshire accent, and my clear vowels are one of the few ways that people can detect my origins!

Yorkshire.
    Ah, dahn sarf then

I’ve found in my U.K. travels, that every place that I need to go, Has a road to it.

Inaccessible places tend to have nothing there... cause they are inaccessible. As such, they don’t need roads.

Ps... the a14 works between Cambridge and Huntingdon is because they are building a new road....

I suggest you read "making the connections" by the ODPM 2005 (I think)
    It clearly demonstrates the link between poor accessibility and poverty/deprivation.

But as you don't want for money it won't bother you.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast