Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A14

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Default Re: A14

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    I suggest you read "making the connections" by the ODPM 2005 (I think)
    It clearly demonstrates the link between poor accessibility and poverty/deprivation.

But as you don't want for money it won't bother you.
    I can assure you, I definitely “want” for money.

But more roads, ain’t the answer..

Quote Originally Posted by elton View Post
    I'm curious to know where this "oop north" comes from. If it's supposed to mimic the way northerners speak, I have to tell you that nobody talks like that up here in the north of England. And it's certainly not how the Scots would speak.
    You never met my Mother in Law, she talked like that, and she spent most of her life in Sheffield
    I respect my elders, but I can't find many now

Quote Originally Posted by Stork_III View Post
    40-50 mph limit on Cambridge to Huntingdon stretch. Avoid rush hour times and it runs fairly smoothly.
    I tried to go on the A14 to day and it was certainly not running "fairly smoothly", in fact traffic was either standing still or crawling slowly. To make matters worse the signage is wrong. I came across two instances of the diversion signs sending me back along the road i had just come on. I checked these twice in case I had missed something, but I had not. There were several other lost people looking at maps and doing three point turns. After an hour and a half in this mess I went home

But thank you for your advice ... things had obviously got worse since your visit
    I respect my elders, but I can't find many now

Quote Originally Posted by DavidofMersea View Post
    You never met my Mother in Law, she talked like that, and she spent most of her life in Sheffield
    Stretching things a bit to refer to Sheffield as "up north" or even "oop north". An ex- girlfriend went to Sheffield Hallam university, and it seemed to take me hours to drive down there.

Quote Originally Posted by elton View Post
    Stretching things a bit to refer to Sheffield as "up north" or even "oop north". An ex- girlfriend went to Sheffield Hallam university, and it seemed to take me hours to drive down there.
    Yes, South starts immediately south of Sheffield! People forget how big Yorkshire is. When I drove up to Scotland from near Cambridge on a regular basis, more than a quarter of the journey was in Yorkshire.

Worth noting that there are currently night closures of the A14 just West of Cambridge. I was heading home on Saturday at ~2030 and the diversion sends you back Eastbound (they can't divert lorries through the villages).

Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    Yes, South starts immediately south of Sheffield! People forget how big Yorkshire is. When I drove up to Scotland from near Cambridge on a regular basis, more than a quarter of the journey was in Yorkshire.
    North begins, or ends, where they pronounce pass to rhyme with bass, the fish not the singer. This demarcation is well south of Yorkshire, in fact scarcely north of Luton, which is where I will continue to draw the line.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    North begins, or ends, where they pronounce pass to rhyme with bass, the fish not the singer. This demarcation is well south of Yorkshire, in fact scarcely north of Luton, which is where I will continue to draw the line.
    We will have to agree to differ on the exact line of demarcation! To me, even Sheffield is suspiciously southern, and your definition would include most of East Anglia, which is definitely NOT Northern.

Of course, I only live "darn sarf" to bring a modicum of civilization to this disadvantaged region.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidofMersea View Post
    I tried to go on the A14 to day and it was certainly not running "fairly smoothly", in fact traffic was either standing still or crawling slowly. To make matters worse the signage is wrong. I came across two instances of the diversion signs sending me back along the road i had just come on. I checked these twice in case I had missed something, but I had not. There were several other lost people looking at maps and doing three point turns. After an hour and a half in this mess I went home

But thank you for your advice ... things had obviously got worse since your visit

I agree with Stork_III, choose your times and the A14 is not too bad, I use it most weekends to and from Shotley and the traffic usually keeps moving, albeit at 40mph. The problem is when they shut it completely as they have on the last two weekends, between junctions 49 and 50 westbound weekend before last and yesterday junctions 27 - 29.

I turned off at Newmarket and found my way to Peterborough via Ely, March etc. A bit longer but at least we kept moving
    "Keep true to the dreams of your youth."
    Friedrich Schiller (1759 - 1805)

Quote Originally Posted by Boz View Post

I turned off at Newmarket and found my way to Peterborough via Ely, March etc. A bit longer but at least we kept moving
    We tried a few weeks ago to avoid an A14 jam by turning off at Newmarket and taking the A1123 via Earth which brings you out at the Eastern end of the Huntingdon Northern by-pass. Unfortunately what we did not realise, and the signage was c**p, was that that road was closed entirely where it crosses the railway due to major upgrade works on the railway. We ended up pretty much where we had left the A14 only 1 1/2 hours later. It is a route we used to use years ago when we lived in Newmarket and needed to travel to Nottingham and in those days the A45 between Cambridge and Huntingdon was just a 2 lane road.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast