Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Glenuig Moorings No Longer There.

Hi, just a heads up, Boss and I decided to use the mooring at Glenuig which we have used in the past. Normally we call ahead to arrange a mooring but today we didn't and yes you guessed they no longer have them despite their entry in Welcome Anchorages. They decided to lift them due to lack of custom and I can see their point as it cost more for servicing than they gained in use so if you can try and use the facilities at the lesser known places, not only are you helping local businesses but you are helping everyone else by keeping a safe mooring usable

Default Re: Glenuig Moorings No Longer There.

Some people might welcome their removal. Those moorings were controversial when laid.
    Ω

I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am

Quote Originally Posted by Railbob View Post
    Hi, just a heads up, Boss and I decided to use the mooring at Glenuig which we have used in the past. Normally we call ahead to arrange a mooring but today we didn't and yes you guessed they no longer have them despite their entry in Welcome Anchorages. They decided to lift them due to lack of custom and I can see their point as it cost more for servicing than they gained in use so if you can try and use the facilities at the lesser known places, not only are you helping local businesses but you are helping everyone else by keeping a safe mooring usable
    3 facilities gone this year now, Glenuig, Kyle of Lochalsh & Kingairloch.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusMcDoon View Post
    3 facilities gone this year now, Glenuig, Kyle of Lochalsh & Kingairloch.
    Good, I have, and use, an anchor.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    I was anticipating the hardcore anchorers celebrating. There's plenty of space in Scotland for all types of sailors.

Would it be safe to drop anchor over old moorings?

Quote Originally Posted by Mataji View Post
    Who knows? It's tight & rocks are nearby anyway. If you have the Antares charts there are heaps of other good places to anchor not far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mataji View Post
    I hate using a tripping line and buoy on my anchor, but where there is a history of old moorings, it makes sense.
    I was caught out a couple of weeks ago in Loch Scadabay, when my anchor fouled a massive old disused chain, which apparently was part of a mooring for a large fishing boat. I have a large trippable hook, which I managed to get under the chain, and was then able to get the anchor free. It means that Scadabay joins the list of places where I will use a tripping line. I would like to think that responsible organisations who have stopped having visitor's moorings, will have cleared all their rubbish from the seabed.

Same here. A bit worried about Tobermory though. For the first time in 30 years I couldn't find space to anchor. There appear to be some new moorings in the anchoring position by the trees and there was also a row of pots complete with long floating lines. I suspect THA might be trying to discourage anchoring.

Quote Originally Posted by KAM View Post
    Same here. A bit worried about Tobermory though. For the first time in 30 years I couldn't find space to anchor. There appear to be some new moorings in the anchoring position by the trees and there was also a row of pots complete with long floating lines. I suspect THA might be trying to discourage anchoring.
    I watched a fisherman in a small yellow boat with twin outboard lobbing lobster pots in a line through the Tobermory visitor moorings and anchorage area. The first pot buoy was about 15 feet from one of the moorings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast