Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    220

    Default Glenuig Moorings No Longer There.

    Hi, just a heads up, Boss and I decided to use the mooring at Glenuig which we have used in the past. Normally we call ahead to arrange a mooring but today we didn't and yes you guessed they no longer have them despite their entry in Welcome Anchorages. They decided to lift them due to lack of custom and I can see their point as it cost more for servicing than they gained in use so if you can try and use the facilities at the lesser known places, not only are you helping local businesses but you are helping everyone else by keeping a safe mooring usable

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Stirling
    Posts
    14,410

    Default Re: Glenuig Moorings No Longer There.

    Some people might welcome their removal. Those moorings were controversial when laid.
    Ω

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am
    Posts
    6,944

    Default Re: Glenuig Moorings No Longer There.

    Quote Originally Posted by Railbob View Post
    Hi, just a heads up, Boss and I decided to use the mooring at Glenuig which we have used in the past. Normally we call ahead to arrange a mooring but today we didn't and yes you guessed they no longer have them despite their entry in Welcome Anchorages. They decided to lift them due to lack of custom and I can see their point as it cost more for servicing than they gained in use so if you can try and use the facilities at the lesser known places, not only are you helping local businesses but you are helping everyone else by keeping a safe mooring usable
    3 facilities gone this year now, Glenuig, Kyle of Lochalsh & Kingairloch.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,856

    Default Re: Glenuig Moorings No Longer There.

    Quote Originally Posted by AngusMcDoon View Post
    3 facilities gone this year now, Glenuig, Kyle of Lochalsh & Kingairloch.
    Good, I have, and use, an anchor.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am
    Posts
    6,944

    Default Re: Glenuig Moorings No Longer There.

    Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Good, I have, and use, an anchor.
    I was anticipating the hardcore anchorers celebrating. There's plenty of space in Scotland for all types of sailors.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Port Bannatyne
    Posts
    272

    Default Re: Glenuig Moorings No Longer There.

    Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Good, I have, and use, an anchor.
    Would it be safe to drop anchor over old moorings?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am
    Posts
    6,944

    Default Re: Glenuig Moorings No Longer There.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mataji View Post
    Would it be safe to drop anchor over old moorings?
    Who knows? It's tight & rocks are nearby anyway. If you have the Antares charts there are heaps of other good places to anchor not far away.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,856

    Default Re: Glenuig Moorings No Longer There.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mataji View Post
    Would it be safe to drop anchor over old moorings?
    I hate using a tripping line and buoy on my anchor, but where there is a history of old moorings, it makes sense.
    I was caught out a couple of weeks ago in Loch Scadabay, when my anchor fouled a massive old disused chain, which apparently was part of a mooring for a large fishing boat. I have a large trippable hook, which I managed to get under the chain, and was then able to get the anchor free. It means that Scadabay joins the list of places where I will use a tripping line. I would like to think that responsible organisations who have stopped having visitor's moorings, will have cleared all their rubbish from the seabed.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    612

    Default Re: Glenuig Moorings No Longer There.

    Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Good, I have, and use, an anchor.
    Same here. A bit worried about Tobermory though. For the first time in 30 years I couldn't find space to anchor. There appear to be some new moorings in the anchoring position by the trees and there was also a row of pots complete with long floating lines. I suspect THA might be trying to discourage anchoring.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Boat (now back in) the Clyde
    Posts
    5,434

    Default Re: Glenuig Moorings No Longer There.

    Quote Originally Posted by KAM View Post
    Same here. A bit worried about Tobermory though. For the first time in 30 years I couldn't find space to anchor. There appear to be some new moorings in the anchoring position by the trees and there was also a row of pots complete with long floating lines. I suspect THA might be trying to discourage anchoring.
    I watched a fisherman in a small yellow boat with twin outboard lobbing lobster pots in a line through the Tobermory visitor moorings and anchorage area. The first pot buoy was about 15 feet from one of the moorings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to