Page 27 of 53 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 529
  1. #261
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    9,395

    Default Re: The end of owner maintenance ...

    Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Because, as I keep saying, it doesn't. It is not r not gonna regulate anything.
    And you know this... how? The MCA have already gone beyond the recommendations made by the Judge in the Cheeki Rafiki trial (and don’t under estimate how much the Enforcement Division of the MCA hate losing an expensive high profile trial). The merchant fleet that they used to regulate is vanishing, thanks to Brexit.

    You may be right, but if you are wrong, you, unlike most readers of this board, have nothing to lose.
    Last edited by Minn; 02-07-19 at 11:42.

  2. #262
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    2,331

    Default Re: The end of owner maintenance ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    ...Let us all remember that the people who are in the “training business” , which actually includes the RYA, are not on our side here. They want to see compulsory training and certification...
    That is just so wrong.

    I have been involved with the RYA for 35+ odd years as a member through Scouting, sailing clubs and a pleasure yachty. For 25 years also as a part time freelance Examiner / Inspector. Through all this the underlying theme is education not legislation and this has worked well over the time to stop a lot of draconian rules being enforced on us. This is an other bit of the slowly encroaching nanny state which they will try to prevent or at the very least water down to a practical solution which will not destroy water sports.

    Please for my benefit, show me one shred of evidence that the RYA have pushed compulsory training and certification for non commercial / professional work?
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

  3. #263
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SPAIN,Galicia
    Posts
    12,553

    Default Re: The end of owner maintenance ...

    I assume the Yachting mags will be all over this and have information from the horses mouth in the next editions

  4. #264
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    9,395

    Default Re: The end of owner maintenance ...

    I agree that the RYA have done a wonderful job for us in keeping the Board of Trade and latterly the MCA at arm’s length. Up to now.

    But - and this is my shred of evidence - the RYA have been working with the MCA on this without saying anything in public.

    That’s pretty odd, don’t you think?

    Edited to add - fwiw the MCA have a new CEO, described by friends within Spring Place as “hyperactive in seeking to expand”.
    Last edited by Minn; 02-07-19 at 12:08.

  5. #265
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    9,395

    Default Re: The end of owner maintenance ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    I assume the Yachting mags will be all over this and have information from the horses mouth in the next editions
    By which time, it will be too late, because the “consultation” closes before then.

  6. #266
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlantic
    Posts
    20,473

    Default Re: The end of owner maintenance ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    And you know this... how? The MCA have already gone beyond the recommendations made by the Judge in the Cheeki Rafiki trial (and don’t under estimate how much the Enforcement Division of the MCA hate losing an expensive high profile trial). The merchant fleet that they used to regulate is vanishing, thanks to Brexit.

    You may be right, but if you are wrong, you, unlike most readers of this board, have nothing to lose.
    I have had a fringe involvement in an MCA enforcement unit trial I get how they operate.

    I have my own yacht that I have lived on for twenty years. My insurers are great. I have no fear about made up 'control by the state'.

    Keep calm and carry on sailing.

  7. #267
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    219

    Default Re: The end of owner maintenance ...

    Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    I have had a fringe involvement in an MCA enforcement unit trial I get how they operate.

    I have my own yacht that I have lived on for twenty years. My insurers are great. I have no fear about made up 'control by the state'.

    Keep calm and carry on sailing.
    Why are you patronising us?

  8. #268
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlantic
    Posts
    20,473

    Default Re: The end of owner maintenance ...

    Quote Originally Posted by scrambledegg View Post
    Why are you patronising us?
    Why are you flapping?

  9. #269
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotland.
    Posts
    1,773

    Default Re: The end of owner maintenance ...

    I have had an excellent reply from Stuart Carruthers at the RYA. He says that they are on the case.
    I quote: "I am in the process of drafting a detailed response to the consultation to stress firstly that the MCA’s reluctance to distinguish clearly between Small Coded Vessel requirements, the Recreational Craft Directive requirements and advice in general gives the impression that the obligations on pleasure vessels are greater than they are and secondly that as far as the owner of a pleasure craft is concerned, the MGN’s are non-mandatory guidance only and do not prevent an private owner from carrying out maintenance on their own vessel. Thirdly, the RYA already publishes a considerable amount of the same safety information and advice on its Safety Pages."

    He urges all of us to reply to the consultation. The RYA has arranged a meeting with the CEO of the MCA for next Thursday and is putting together a detailed response to the consultation.

  10. #270
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SPAIN,Galicia
    Posts
    12,553

    Default Re: The end of owner maintenance ...

    Thanks

Page 27 of 53 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to