Page 27 of 53 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: The end of owner maintenance ...

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Because, as I keep saying, it doesn't. It is not r not gonna regulate anything.
    And you know this... how? The MCA have already gone beyond the recommendations made by the Judge in the Cheeki Rafiki trial (and don’t under estimate how much the Enforcement Division of the MCA hate losing an expensive high profile trial). The merchant fleet that they used to regulate is vanishing, thanks to Brexit.

You may be right, but if you are wrong, you, unlike most readers of this board, have nothing to lose.
    Last edited by Minn; 02-07-19 at 11:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    ...Let us all remember that the people who are in the “training business” , which actually includes the RYA, are not on our side here. They want to see compulsory training and certification...
    That is just so wrong.

I have been involved with the RYA for 35+ odd years as a member through Scouting, sailing clubs and a pleasure yachty. For 25 years also as a part time freelance Examiner / Inspector. Through all this the underlying theme is education not legislation and this has worked well over the time to stop a lot of draconian rules being enforced on us. This is an other bit of the slowly encroaching nanny state which they will try to prevent or at the very least water down to a practical solution which will not destroy water sports.

Please for my benefit, show me one shred of evidence that the RYA have pushed compulsory training and certification for non commercial / professional work?
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

I assume the Yachting mags will be all over this and have information from the horses mouth in the next editions

I agree that the RYA have done a wonderful job for us in keeping the Board of Trade and latterly the MCA at arm’s length. Up to now.

But - and this is my shred of evidence - the RYA have been working with the MCA on this without saying anything in public.

That’s pretty odd, don’t you think?

Edited to add - fwiw the MCA have a new CEO, described by friends within Spring Place as “hyperactive in seeking to expand”.
    Last edited by Minn; 02-07-19 at 12:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    I assume the Yachting mags will be all over this and have information from the horses mouth in the next editions
    By which time, it will be too late, because the “consultation” closes before then.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    And you know this... how? The MCA have already gone beyond the recommendations made by the Judge in the Cheeki Rafiki trial (and don’t under estimate how much the Enforcement Division of the MCA hate losing an expensive high profile trial). The merchant fleet that they used to regulate is vanishing, thanks to Brexit.

You may be right, but if you are wrong, you, unlike most readers of this board, have nothing to lose.
    I have had a fringe involvement in an MCA enforcement unit trial I get how they operate.

I have my own yacht that I have lived on for twenty years. My insurers are great. I have no fear about made up 'control by the state'.

Keep calm and carry on sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    I have had a fringe involvement in an MCA enforcement unit trial I get how they operate.

I have my own yacht that I have lived on for twenty years. My insurers are great. I have no fear about made up 'control by the state'.

Keep calm and carry on sailing.
    Why are you patronising us?

Quote Originally Posted by scrambledegg View Post
    Why are you patronising us?
    Why are you flapping?

Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotland.

I have had an excellent reply from Stuart Carruthers at the RYA. He says that they are on the case.
    I quote: "I am in the process of drafting a detailed response to the consultation to stress firstly that the MCA’s reluctance to distinguish clearly between Small Coded Vessel requirements, the Recreational Craft Directive requirements and advice in general gives the impression that the obligations on pleasure vessels are greater than they are and secondly that as far as the owner of a pleasure craft is concerned, the MGN’s are non-mandatory guidance only and do not prevent an private owner from carrying out maintenance on their own vessel. Thirdly, the RYA already publishes a considerable amount of the same safety information and advice on its Safety Pages."

He urges all of us to reply to the consultation. The RYA has arranged a meeting with the CEO of the MCA for next Thursday and is putting together a detailed response to the consultation.

Thanks

Page 27 of 53 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast