Page 38 of 53 FirstFirst ... 28333435363738394041424348 ... LastLast

Default Re: The end of owner maintenance ...

To put things into a context.
    Last weekend I had a coolin water problem... as in no water coming out... limped home and got tied up.

Today spent a few contortionist hours tracing the problem. .. inlet free, SW pump working ... water not coming out heat exchanger.
    So take off heat exchanger and btprng home to clean or at possiblt send to have it cleaned.

None of this is complicated. Six bolts and five hose clips. .... But it is entirely "safety critical". Should I be forced into a criminal lifestyle because I can actually undo a bolt?
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    Last weekend I had a coolin water problem... as in no water coming out... limped home and got tied up.

Today spent a few contortionist hours tracing the problem. .. inlet free, SW pump working ... water not coming out heat exchanger.
    So take off heat exchanger and btprng home to clean or at possiblt send to have it cleaned.

None of this is complicated. Six bolts and five hose clips. .... But it is entirely "safety critical". Should I be forced into a criminal lifestyle because I can actually undo a bolt?
    .....there you have confessed,mitigating circumstances when you case come up!

Quote Originally Posted by Simondjuk View Post
    Oh dear.
    Lol I get lambasted here often for that type of comment.
    Iíve given up now. Lil

Where is the evidence of a oroblem that needs regulation?

One boat suffers a catastrophic failure and half a dozen innocent young people die.

Yet every day people are injured and killed in a multitude of other ways where the cause can be easily identified and addressed. In terms of numbers, serious pleasure boat accidents donít even amount to a dry fart stacked against other water related fatalities. And of those yachting pleasure boat accidents that do happen, how many are attributable to non compliance with the content of these MGN's? In short, if the government wants to reduce water related accidents... they should be looking elsewhere.
    But thatís the point they donít!
    The governments concern is generating money through taxes, if you self maintain you donít pay tax, if you employ some one, the revenue machine kicks in.
    Pure and simple revenue collection.

I think, having had the opportunity to reflect, as the MCA has clearly stated that private pleasure vessels are NOT covered under these guidance notes, they should state that clearly in the guidance. If they will write it in emails but not add it to the guidance, then it begins to smell very fishy to me ...

Response from MCA regarding my submission:-

"I would like to stress that the MGNís are non-mandatory guidance that the owner of a pleasure vessel does not need to follow and they do not prevent an owner from carrying out maintenance on their own vessel.

The suggestion that a boat is re-coded under the recreational craft directive when, say an outboard engine has been changed is ludicrous!
    As for changing a propeller on a boat requiring some form of ďcheckingĒ is crazy.

With respect to the above comment, again we would have to stress the advisory nature of the comment. It is well documented through a number of MAIB reports that an increase in power or propeller torque has the ability to significantly change the anticipated handling characteristics of the vessel (RIB). The purpose of the guidance is to give the owner areas to consider when making modifications to their vessel and that if they are not sure of the consequences of the modification, that they should ask someone to help identify what those consequences might be.

I hope this addresses your concerns"

It does not address my concerns at all....... Crowd funded legal advice anyone??

I would like to stress that the MGN’s are non-mandatory guidance that the owner of a pleasure vessel does not need to follow and they do not prevent an owner from carrying out maintenance on their own vessel.

Direct from the MCA!!!!!!

What on earth is it that people dont get???????

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    I would like to stress that the MGN’s are non-mandatory guidance that the owner of a pleasure vessel does not need to follow and they do not prevent an owner from carrying out maintenance on their own vessel.

Direct from the MCA!!!!!!

What on earth is it that people dont get???????
    The email from them is crystal clear - problem is that it's what is in the "guidance/regulations" that actually matters - the devil is in the detail......

Re propellors..

Indeed, judging by the speed with which the prop is taken off the OB when some high performance robs and race boats are lifted out .. (partially to protect them from damage) ... half the fun of high performance motorboats is changing the prop to see what it does to speed acceleration handling etc.

Regarding changing sails..
    This would mean the racing boys would have to have their boat re-surveyed every year whenever they change the rags..

Another comment to go into the MCA.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

So basically, what you are saying is that the heat exchanger (possiby) had not had any regular servicing & you did not follow any particular guidelines to maintain the engine properly.
    So you do really need the MCA's advice & perhaps some form of regulation, to keep you out of trouble & it is precisely YOU that it is aimed at.
    Well done- go to jail
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 11-07-19 at 11:30.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Page 38 of 53 FirstFirst ... 28333435363738394041424348 ... LastLast