Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343940414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Default Re: The end of owner maintenance ...

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail1 View Post
    A Response from the MCA:

"...

Firstly I would like to stress that the MGN’s are non-mandatory guidance that the owner of a pleasure vessel does not need to follow and they do not prevent an owner from carrying out maintenance on their own vessel. We have agreed to make this statement clear in the summary box of each MGN

That is of itself probably sufficient and broadly satisfactory. It certainly makes the use of the guidance as an excuse not to pay out on an insurance claim or as a justification for legal action (civil or criminal) against a vessel owner much less likely (although not as unlikely as it would be if the guidance did not exist at all)

I shall still, before the deadline, be submitting a detailed response ripping some of the proposed guidance to shreds on the grounds that it is either badly written, nonsense or both!

I shall not, however, be pointing out the myriad of things that have been omitted that could, and on the dubious justification for issuing the guidance, should, have been included!

So all this ballyhoo is because one carelessly maintained commercial yacht's keel fell off. Thank you professionals.

Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Bru View Post
    That is of itself probably sufficient and broadly satisfactory. It certainly makes the use of the guidance as an excuse not to pay out on an insurance claim or as a justification for legal action (civil or criminal) against a vessel owner much less likely (although not as unlikely as it would be if the guidance did not exist at all)

I shall still, before the deadline, be submitting a detailed response ripping some of the proposed guidance to shreds on the grounds that it is either badly written, nonsense or both!

I shall not, however, be pointing out the myriad of things that have been omitted that could, and on the dubious justification for issuing the guidance, should, have been included!
    My words to the MCA included that the documents were "simplistic nonsense"

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail1 View Post
    My words to the MCA included that the documents were "simplistic nonsense"
    That is fine and of itself true. However, we are going to get this guidance, so I think it is worth engaging with them and offering suggestions that they can incorporate,. In mine, I suggested that Danbouys and Life rings carry PLB / VHF MOB devices so that the crew can navigate back to a casualty who happens not to be wearing one.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    So all this ballyhoo is because one carelessly maintained commercial yacht's keel fell off. Thank you professionals.
    You got it.

I suggest that the professionals keep out of this.

Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post
    That is fine and of itself true. However, we are going to get this guidance, so I think it is worth engaging with them and offering suggestions that they can incorporate,. In mine, I suggested that Danbouys and Life rings carry PLB / VHF MOB devices so that the crew can navigate back to a casualty who happens not to be wearing one.
    There you go....giving them expensive ideas. When did you last have someone fall overboard at sea? The Man Overboard mantra is seriously over played already.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post
    Aaaaggghhhhh!

Don't go giving them ideas they haven't thought of!

(Not a bad idea at all actually but the gods forbid that the numpties who wrote the rubbish in these MGNs get hold of it. The more I digest the contents thereof, the less palatable they become)

Quote Originally Posted by Bru View Post
    Aaaaggghhhhh!

Don't go giving them ideas they haven't thought of!

(Not a bad idea at all actually but the gods forbid that the numpties who wrote the rubbish in these MGNs get hold of it. The more I digest the contents thereof, the less palatable they become)
    My full response is here: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...13#post6843913 I suggest that you give them a full and detailed response. I see no reason not to suggest alternative arrangements, while ther may be a little cost involved, at least we would be spending money on things we deem worthwhile. That may also help them to justify taking out carp that we really don’t want!

One understands that public sector jobsworth are short of all the picture cards .... but did anyone actually look at what they are publishing?

2.4. it may be necessary to carry out maintenance whilst at sea. ......
    2.5 Unless trained and/or qualified to do so, safety critical maintenance should not be carried out by the owner / managing agent or skipper.
    The implication of this is for every pleasure boat to always have a "professional" engineer on board for any passage just in case it becomes necessary to carry out safety critical maintenance... like I had yesterday when the cooling water packed up. Traced it to a blockage in the syphon break on the exhaust. Should I have phoned up the coastguard and requested tow in or an engineer be flown out on a helo?
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Another thought..

IIRC, there was a series of threads a while back regarding a particular volume boat builder who's boats had a nasty habit of loosing their keels? For obvious reasons I am not going to try and guess which manufacturer it was...

Do peeps remember anything of this, or am I imagining things ?
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343940414243444546474849 ... LastLast