Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast

Default Re: MCA consultation - in the wake of Cheeki Rafiki

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    The word ‘consultation’ was obviously missed!!
    When I was a 'consultant' we used to joke that the word 'consult' was made from 'con' and 'insult'.

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Really?

Yacht owners are very much a minority, and not one that tends to attract much sympathy from the population at large.

Pete
    Sadly true, qv Studland MCZ

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    When I was a 'consultant' we used to joke that the word 'consult' was made from 'con' and 'insult'.
    Here is your chance to make up for that, then and do it properly.
    Last edited by capnsensible; 27-06-19 at 20:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    The word ‘consultation’ was obviously missed!!
    Yeah, all the instant experts on here now gotta front up or stop grizzlin!

Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Yeah, all the instant experts on here now gotta front up or stop grizzlin!
    If we all said to the MCA "keep your nose out of Pleasure sailing" I don't believe they would take that onboard. They have their agenda.....Then again I guess you think they should be involved.

Default Re: The end of owner maintenance ...

A local fishing vessel was towed in by the RNLI, next day while the engineer was starting the repair, it was a gearbox/drive train failure, the MCA man stood over him probing for an excuse to blame the skipper for lack of maintenance, until the engineer told him to eff off, the boat was well maintained and it was an unforeseen incident. Since the engineer assessment was all he could hope to rely on off he effed.

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail1 View Post
    If we all said to the MCA "keep your nose out of Pleasure sailing" I don't believe they would take that onboard. They have their agenda.....Then again I guess you think they should be involved.
    I have absolutely no idea what you have just said.

Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    I have absolutely no idea what you have just said.
    Fair enough. Nothing more to say.

I've emailed my comments to the MCA.

Perhaps other forum members could do the same. Posting your thoughts here on what you think of them isn't going to make one jot of difference to the outcome.

Sending in reasoned arguments as to why it's a load of twaddle will!

Quote Originally Posted by Polly's Kettle View Post
    I have several parts that give me the willies, but I will reference just this one:
    "Any damage to a vessel, regardless of the scale or location of that damage, should be fixed promptly, ideally before the next passage"
    Read this in the context that each word included in a document is included for a reason and carries equal weight."

"…regardless of scale or location..."

This leaves no room - if you do not fix all damage, regardless of scale or location, then you are not complying with the guidelines. So that's any damage, anywhere, however small.

Now you can say "don't be silly, they don't mean that". But I can't see any other reason why you would so explicitly go to the trouble of including those words "regardless of scale or location" unless you intended them to be there, and that is certainly how a court or insurer would be entitled to read this document.

So to answer your question, there is one example amongst several of what I believe is wrong with this proposal. I'd add to that that I am have never commercially worked on engines, or gone on a diesel course. I read this document to mean that I should no longer service my engine. It makes no distinction on its guidelines between personal boats, and chartered boats with paying passengers.

Me no likey.

Be fun to see them apply that to the aviation industry - nothing would ever fly.

Given that these are consultation documents though it would be nice to see some sensible arguments as to why they are unreasonable. In the case of the above you could easily point that technically you could be fined for setting sail with a stained scatter cushion (although in fairness anyone who sets sail with scatter cushions should be fined regardless of whether it's stained).

Also they need to be a lot clearer about what "qualified" means and what critical safety systems means. And it would be nice if they where clearer about exactly what there concerns are about "pleasure craft". It seems to me the majority of cases are commercial (e.g. Cheeky Rafiki, Clipper).

Has anyone seen an RYA response?

Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast