Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast

Default Re: The end of owner maintenance ...

And ... if you are bothered, right in response to the address given!

I think it is shocking that the RYA has been silent on this issue, no doubt the marine industry is rubbing it's hands in glee!

Quote Originally Posted by MM5AHO View Post
    From the intro to the consultation..
    "The guidance contained within this collection of MGNs is not looking to amend or change the text of the applicable regulations, but rather provide further detail on the intent of the regulation."

That doesn't sound too ominous.
    That basically means that the agency wants to make it clear that under the existing regulations, you should not be working on your own boat!

Take up stamp collecting or does that have hidden dangers!

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    Take up stamp collecting or does that have hidden dangers!
    You could get a nasty cut on your tongue when moistening a stamp hinge - or are they all self adhesive these days?

These documents frequently mention the Recreational Craft Regulations 2017, and also under maintenance mention referring to the manufacturer's maintenance schedule, and if in doubt I should contact the manufacturer. I have a 1978 Moody 30 - how exactly do I contact the manufacturer? I doubt the boat came with much of a maintenance schedule anyway. Having been manufactured before 16 June 1998 it does not need to conform to the RCD.

I wonder what would qualify a Marine Professional? Would such a person need something similar to what gas people have in CORGI but for boats and not gas? I can imagine a whole industry forming out of implementing Marine Professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    It would be sad if we were not allowed to carry out repairs and modifications to our boats because I get a lot of pleasure from it as well as saving myself a great deal of money. However, I am always amazed at how tolerant some boatyards are of amateurs carrying out work that could not only endanger themselves but others. Dry grinding off antifoul is one example, with the toxic dust flying everywhere
    Except all over southern Europe the yards dry grind it off themselves too.

This is a major threat to our sport/pastime.

Where it refers to 'experienced marine professionals' many of us here have been ripped off by those posing as such. This really is the start of enforced professional maintenance for all, irrespective of whether you are more competent than the so called professional.

Out of interest, is there a formal qualification for a rigger? Certainly one can be trained and skilled/experienced, but qualified? Who provides the qualifications and under whose authority?

Please do read and respond to the email address in a professional manner. Many of us rely on experienced marine professions but many of us are also competent to maintain our own boats.

Get writing or lose our freedom and sport. Seriously.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

In almost the first few words of the CONSULTATION document it says one of the responses they are looking for is if their ideas are " Realistic to carry out in practice "

So, just a consultation document and they have asked recipricants to answer the above question.

So, perhaps a trifle early to start castigating the RYA for being slow

And, also perhaps not time to worry about it becoming enshrined legislation.

They cant get rid of patently unsafe 'slumboats' on the Thames-what chance policeing DIY on the thousands of leisure boats in use in the UK.

If we had a US style para military high personel and vessels Coastguard there might be a chance of enforcement, but as it stands the resources are not in place.
    Last edited by rotrax; 26-06-19 at 11:07.

Don't rely on there being any consistency or common sense from the MCA. I sold a boat with MCA cert, which has to be renewed at point of sale. The boat had only done a sea trial for an hour and 26 hour delivery trip, took three weeks to get through the cert. I argued a point with one inspector, in the end he said in exasperation "Look, we're in the dark as badly as you are" and I hear he quit the job over it.

Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast