Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Default Re: The end of owner maintenance ...

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post

It could price many people out of boating.

Exactly.

The leisure marine industry would be seriously damaged and, bottom line, it cant be that much of a problem in the real world otherwise we would be hearing about leisure boaters in trouble-DUE TO POOR MAINTENANCE-all the time.

And we dont! Even saving lives at sea does not have that many instances, does it?

And, as I know to my cost, very often a Marine Pofessional cant always do it as well as me!

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    If it were to happen, I suspect policing would come through insurance companies insisting on a professionally issued paper trail in the event of any claim. If that were the case, I would envisage obtaining some paperwork of my own to enable me to be eligible to work on my own boat. I already have an MCA recognised engineering qualification, so I may already be able to argue that I am qualified. Personally I cannot see this getting off the ground. It could price many people out of boating.
    Have a feeling it may get a lot harder.

I've got 8 years worth of engineering qualifications, one of the UK top apprenticeships, 20 years in senior design positions, 35 years designing, developing and building marine charging and switchgear and never made a insurance claim, Yet this year they include a new limitation on my product liability, they do not cover marine safety critical items. What is safety critical ? anything that effects the navigation of a boat, i.e. engine, so if you wanted a bit of plastic with a 250 amp fuse to supply starter motor, I cannot supply.

So what will happen if this is general, the marine engineers who fit or repair engines and steering gear !!!!!

Brian
    Kddpowercentre VASR charge

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    But no one knows what these guidelines may-or indeed may not-be. They will be decided after the consultation resonses have been looked at.

Has anyone approached the RYA to ask what is their response to this consultation document? Or the CA?

No-I thought as much.
    Rest assured, if no one kicks up a fuss, they will come out exactly as proposed.

I have written to the MCA and the RYA and tonight I will be writing to my MP.

My question is what are these proposals to achieve? How terrible are the accident figures these actions are expected to improve? It would appear to be a set of possible solutions looking for a set of problems!

Quote Originally Posted by nimrod1230 View Post
    My question is what are these proposals to achieve? How terrible are the accident figures these actions are expected to improve? It would appear to be a set of possible solutions looking for a set of problems!
    Agreed.

From the maintenance paper:
    4.4 Unless specifically trained, experienced and/or qualified to do so, repairs should not be carried out by the owner, managing agent or skipper.

That would stop me doing any repair work, so if it is enforced (eg via insurers) I’d most likely get rid of my boat.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by chriss999 View Post
    Agreed.

From the maintenance paper:
    4.4 Unless specifically trained, experienced and/or qualified to do so, repairs should not be carried out by the owner, managing agent or skipper.

That would stop me doing any repair work, so if it is enforced (eg via insurers) I’d most likely get rid of my boat.
    The words "Specifically trained, experienced and/or qualified" are very loose.

I have 45 years pro experience of fixing vehicles of all sizes from mo-peds to 40 ton trucks plus mechanical, electrical, pneumatic and hydraulic equipment and I have several bits of paper saying so. I have been maintaining my own boats since 1977.

According to the above, I surely would be qualified? There would be serious trouble if I were considered unqualified I can tell you!

Also, is regular maintenance different to repairs?

Of course it is. IMHO, anyway.

So, a lot of ambiguity here.

It needs sorting out-and I am sure it will be.

Any regulations they come out with however mild will just be the start, it should be mandatory if you ask me to do your own maintenance or at least have a grasp of it, the amount of lifeboat call outs due to blocked filters and trivial issues is crazy, I repaired an outboard for someone who called out the rnli for a tow home because his engine died for no other reason than poor maintenance, he could see no issue in it.
    It would take major failure and risk of injury or loss before Id consider a call out, I try build redundancy into everything I can.

Quote Originally Posted by nimrod1230 View Post

That must be what it's all about, and I suspect most incidents could be put down to incompetent operation of a vessel rather than a poor standard of maintenance.

Numbers on bows, numbers on bows....... the desk pilots are coming to get us!
    Gwylan, a settee with a sail

I find it intriguing and confusing that I would be able to maintain the brakes, steering, fuel system, etc. on my car myself (where I could easily kill and/or injure others) but not work on equivalent systems on my boat (where I would be very unlikely to harm anyone except myself or my crew who, presumably, are voluntarily with me - and even that chance of death or harm to the crew is far less likely). Definitely a solution looking for a problem.

Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast