Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast

Default Re: MCA consultation - in the wake of Cheeki Rafiki

Long active thread about it already, here http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...er-maintenance
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Default Re: The end of owner maintenance ...

Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    "(before that too is subjected to H&S or some other intrusive legislation)"
    I must take issue with remarks like this. The health and safety at work act was a major step forward in protecting working people and has saved many lives and health issues by forcing employers to provide a safe working environment and penalising them if they don't. I spent most of my working life involved with the construction industry which had a very poor safety record when I started. Admittedly I've sat through many boring training sessions on it but that's the price you pay.
    HASAWA only applies to activities at work - you can do what you like at home or at leisure - paint your house with an unfooted triple extender, cut your toes off with a Flymo or blind yourself by not wearing goggles when angle grinding (to name but a few). BUT you can't do it at work (legally) any more.
    When I started my apprenticeship in 1961 we had H&S lectures every other day the first month and regularly after that, the firm had two full time safety officers that ran courses for all employees. H&S is not new, just applied to all and provides income for many.

Brian
    Kddpowercentre VASR charge

Ah sorry. I had a look in PBO, but missed that thread title as referring to the consultation.
    You never know, I might be right!

keeping a log will be a great help, contemporaneous records to show your due diligence. In my case the MCA and insurance were happy for me to self certificate between 5 yearly inspections. It was a precondition of cover that a valid MCA cert was in force.

Thanks for posting the link, flaming. All six documents are worth a read.

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    "(before that too is subjected to H&S or some other intrusive legislation)"
    I must take issue with remarks like this. The health and safety at work act was a major step forward in protecting working people and has saved many lives and health issues by forcing employers to provide a safe working environment and penalising them if they don't. I spent most of my working life involved with the construction industry which had a very poor safety record when I started. Admittedly I've sat through many boring training sessions on it but that's the price you pay.
    HASAWA only applies to activities at work - you can do what you like at home or at leisure - paint your house with an unfooted triple extender, cut your toes off with a Flymo or blind yourself by not wearing goggles when angle grinding (to name but a few). BUT you can't do it at work (legally) any more.
    OK, I accept that H&S, HASAWA or whatever has brought huge safety benefits to the work place, and by that to the domestic environment as well. But this proposal seems to me to be the thin end of the wedge in its direction to eventually make illegal all sorts of "home maintenance".
    Bodging, dangerous bodging, should be controlled and stamped out if it puts others in danger, but an individual who accepts all manner of risks in daily life is just that - an individual in charge of his/her environment/practices.
    Why attempt to force all "home maintenance" into the regulated services sector to the cost and likely inconvenience of the home "mechanic".
    I'm not saying I'm an expert at boat/car/garden equipment/home maintenance, but I'm quite useful at it and I'm not hurting anyone else.
    I accept that were I to endanger a third party through my actions then I might be liable to some controls and even sanction.

For example, when Khamsin needs re-rigging (within two years) then it will be professionally done, by who I trust will be a qualified and accomplished rigger.
    I can change an injector and the engine still works perfectly, I can do GRP repairs, splicing, general maintenance etc without endangering third parties.
    I can even put the correct amount of air in my car's tyres.
    All those might cause a breakdown in a potentially dangerous situation - but life is not totally risk free.
    Common-sense and forethought must count and not be legislated away.
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

Forget changing your outboard then!!!

MCA.JPG

And don't change your prop....

MCA2.JPG
    Last edited by Hot Property; 27-06-19 at 10:39. Reason: Mone info..

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Property View Post
    Forget changing your outboard then!!!

MCA.JPG

And don't change your prop....

MCA2.JPG
    Mea culpa
    OK I didn't read the whole article, but are the above two sections actually being proposed as "not suitable for an unqualified person" with sanctionable circumstances?

Surely not?
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

Quote Originally Posted by halcyon View Post
    When I started my apprenticeship in 1961 we had H&S lectures every other day the first month and regularly after that, the firm had two full time safety officers that ran courses for all employees. H&S is not new, just applied to all and provides income for many.

Brian
    When I started my apprenticeship in the motor trade in the '60s, the only health advice I received was to clean the spoon in the foreman's tea. Joking apart, we had no formal H & S training whatsoever, learning was on the job.

Quote Originally Posted by halcyon View Post

Brian
    The difference with HASAWA is that there are statutory responsibilities with severe penalties for non compliance. It sounds like your apprenticeship was with a responsible firm but not all were like that.

Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast