Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Default Re: The end of owner maintenance ...

Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    That basically means that the agency wants to make it clear that under the existing regulations, you should not be working on your own boat!
    More twoddle
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    Total Twoddle I am afraid you obviously don’t understand that the law in this regard in the Uk does not stipulate who must do work only what must be done and to what standard.
    Erm, I'm wondering if you read the paper? If somebody dies on your boat, you may well find yourself in court on a manslaughter charge, which would look at whether you acted negligently or not.

The law may well not set out who you can use, but it, and insurance companies, will look at what is reasonable in order to assess whether you've been negligent/reckless. This paper, in setting out best practice, defines what is and is not reasonable (best practice), so will become hugely important.
    My example is extreme to illustrate the point, but I can't find anything in his post that I disagree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Polly's Kettle View Post
    Erm, I'm wondering if you read the paper? If somebody dies on your boat, you may well find yourself in court on a manslaughter charge, which would look at whether you acted negligently or not.

The law may well not set out who you can use, but it, and insurance companies, will look at what is reasonable in order to assess whether you've been negligent/reckless. This paper, in setting out best practice, defines what is and is not reasonable (best practice), so will become hugely important.
    My example is extreme to illustrate the point, but I can't find anything in his post that I disagree with.
    You can spend your life worrying about that sort of What if scenario and sit in the corner doing nowt or get on with your life using common sense and other natural safeguards. all this paper nonsense and so called work by professionals will make little or no difference to safety

In construction we have the CDM regs total twoddle and just a money making excercise for paper pushers.

I read so much on these forums from theory mongers, paper pushers and people who most likely don’t own a hammer or any other tool. Quite frankly I have no interest in their advice.

People who rely on paper trails are sad individuals who can be easily duped.

How will a paper trail help you when you are broken down at sea with no tools or the ability to attempt a fix. I surpose you could use it to wipe your rear end
    Last edited by Bigplumbs; 27-06-19 at 19:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    I read so much on these forums from theory mongers, paper pushers and people who most likely don’t own a hammer or any other tool. Quite frankly I have no interest in their advice.

People who rely on paper trails are sad individuals who can be easily duped.

How will a paper trail help you when you are broken down at sea with no tools or the ability to attempt a fix. I surpose you could use it to wipe your rear end
    The point people are making is that the paper trail won’t help in that situation. Obviously.

BUT in the case of an accident, or an insurance claim, the court (etc) will look at whether the boat was maintained or adapted in line with best practice. If best practice is defined by these documents, then we will all have to follow them to avoid incurring the risk of being regarded as negligent.

Chris - I think he's just a troll trying to get a rise. I fell for it. For someone who has no interest in people's thoughts, he sure has replied to a lot of them...

Default Re: MCA consultation - in the wake of Cheeki Rafiki

Sheesh you people are being asked your views to help frame the fek in rules!!

YES YOU

And still posters whine and grizzle. For goodness sake get a grip.

This consultation seeks your views on 6 draft marine guidance notes (MGNs). The main reason for the intervention is to reinforce to owners, managing agents and skippers what is good practice in terms of safety when going out to sea. This is to reduce the risk of any accidents occurring as a result of not following the most acceptable standards of safety required. Another reason for the intervention is to ensure that guidance on safety is applied equally to those who fall within a regulatory framework and to those that fall outside it. This will ensure that as many stakeholders as possible are aware of what practices they need to put in place to meet the acceptable level of safety. The guidance contained within this collection of MGNs is not looking to amend or change the text of the applicable regulations, but rather provide further detail on the intent of the regulation.

This consultation runs from 20th June 2019 to 18th July 2019.

Your views are sought in the following areas:

Whether the draft notes contain guidance that is realistic to carry out in practice
    If there is the right level of content in each MGN
    Please complete the list of consultation questions contained in section 5 of this consultation and return to the email address below.
    The following draft documents are included for your reference.

Draft MGN - Yacht and powerboat safety at sea - preparedness for non-coastal passages - good practice
    Draft MGN - Yacht and powerboat safety at sea - maintenance, modifications, damage and repairs - good practice
    Draft MGN - Yacht and powerboat safety at sea - rigs and rigging - good practice for inspection
    Draft MGN - Yacht and powerboat safety at sea - grounding of fixed fin keel GRP yachts - good practice
    Draft MGN - Yacht and powerboat safety at sea - emergency procedures, equipment and actions - good practice
    Draft MGN - Yacht and powerboat safety at sea - stowage of life-saving appliances - good practice

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    If a Government Agency starts going down the road of trying to wreck the marine leisure boat industry there will be an outcry.
    Really?

Yacht owners are very much a minority, and not one that tends to attract much sympathy from the population at large.

Pete

There are always a tidal wave of bitchin and complaining on here when something goes wrong now here is YOUR chance to do something about it. For once.

The word ‘consultation’ was obviously missed!!

Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast