Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Staysail

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Live Staffordshire Moorlands/Boat Pwllheli
    Posts
    923

    Default Staysail

    Seeing a fair few boats now fitting a staysail, using a sail (Jib cut) on a furler with a torsion cable sewn into the luff, and then hoisting using a spi halyard
    Guessing using for power reaching when above code zero wind limits
    Seems like a good idea, especially short handed
    Any rating issues?
    Sunfast 3200
    Irish Sea

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    10,670

    Default Re: Staysail

    Do you mean a staysail? The use you are describing sounds more like a Jib Top / blast reacher.

    https://www.northsails.com/sailing/e...ing-sail-guide

    Doesn't carry a rating hit as is smaller than your J1.
    You never know, I might be right!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Live Staffordshire Moorlands/Boat Pwllheli
    Posts
    923

    Default Re: Staysail

    Quote Originally Posted by harstonwood View Post
    Seeing a fair few boats now fitting a staysail, using a sail (Jib cut) on a furler with a torsion cable sewn into the luff, and then hoisting using a spi halyard
    Guessing using for power reaching when above code zero wind limits
    Seems like a good idea, especially short handed
    Any rating issues?
    No, I mean a staysail as described in the article you attached as a “Genoa Staysail”
    It’s deployed to a hard point on the deck, and hoisted on fractional halyard.

    Seen one on a J109 recently .

    It’s a good option on passage racing at night, possibly. Just wondered if any rating issues?
    Sunfast 3200
    Irish Sea

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    10,670

    Default Re: Staysail

    Quote Originally Posted by harstonwood View Post
    No, I mean a staysail as described in the article you attached as a “Genoa Staysail”
    It’s deployed to a hard point on the deck, and hoisted on fractional halyard.

    Seen one on a J109 recently .

    It’s a good option on passage racing at night, possibly. Just wondered if any rating issues?
    Would need to be on a halyard inside the forestay. Symmetrical boats tend to use the pole up.

    But, no, no rating issues. In fact some boats just use their storm jib for the purpose.
    You never know, I might be right!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Live Staffordshire Moorlands/Boat Pwllheli
    Posts
    923

    Default Re: Staysail

    Great - thanks

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Coast UK
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Staysail

    Here's a picture of the Spinnaker Staysail on my Sun Fast 3200. Has it's own torsion stay inside the luff and a furler and is hoisted on the spare genoa halyard. No rating penalty and a definite speed increase in the right conditions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Live Staffordshire Moorlands/Boat Pwllheli
    Posts
    923

    Default Re: Staysail

    Thanks for that - did you beef up the attachment point for the tack?
    Sunfast 3200
    Irish Sea

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Coast UK
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Staysail

    Quote Originally Posted by harstonwood View Post
    Thanks for that - did you beef up the attachment point for the tack?
    The 3200 comes with a centreline mooring cleat on the foredeck. This is positioned over the aft end of the anchor locker where there is addtional laminate where the anchor locker well is laminated in. I moved the mooring cleat. Plenty of strength there for a tack point, which on my boat was a soft loop RopeEye fitting. Anyway, the spinnaker staysail is not used upwind, so the luff does not need to be super tight. A Genoa Staysail will have more stay tension and would need lookig at a bit more carefully, but I never had any structural issues with the spinnaker staysail.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Live Staffordshire Moorlands/Boat Pwllheli
    Posts
    923

    Default Re: Staysail

    Great thanks for that ...will be one of my winter projects !
    Sunfast 3200
    Irish Sea

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Staysail

    Just seen this thread,
    When would you be thinking of using the staysail with the kite and Genoa .?

    Can you use it for taking pressure out of the kite when the combination of wind strength and angle starts to get a bit tight. I’d like to have a play. Or is it purely more sail area when reaching

    Thanks
    T

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to