Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Hot Water when the calorifier goes cold?????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
    Slight thread drift here but.... given the huge amount of energy required to heat water.....if I drink a couple of litres of ice cold water per day will I be able to eat more Frey bentos pies without weight gain?
    Yes, body uses far more calories when it's cold. Rations difference between tropics and arctic is as much as 2,000 calories per day for Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I beg to differ - we make 40l every day of scalding hot water using a 2Kw inverter - we do have 1400w of solar and wait until lunch time when the batteries are full and then we can run it effectively for hours if need be just from the solar input without training the batteries at all - they stay on float charge mode the whole time ... Without solar just doing it from battery reserve would be a bad idea of course

The calcs are spot on but it's probably not a valid assumption that you're heating the water from cold. Even poor insulation will help keep some residual heat in the calorifier.

Despite having a 2Kw inverter and a pair of 50A/h Alternators and 720 A/h battery bank as well as a calorifier (Hot water one way or another!) I get SWMBO to shower while we are motoring, so whenever we moor up, we have a full tank of lovely hot water! Even leaving one engine running as soon as we stop will reheat the water if I want a shower.

Worth a thought!?

My solution on a boat with no hot water is a 12volt camping shower (~20quid) and a 15 litre bucket.
    One full kettle of boiling water into bucket, then made up with cold to desired shower temp.
    I have taken the shower unit on flotilla as well, and we ended up using it most days as we like to shower in the morning by which time the calorifier was cold.
    My unit came with a long cable to plug into lighter socket and easily reached the heads compartment.

Very cheap and suprisingly effective solution.
    Aiming to live forever or die in the attempt!

We use a different boat shower system that may be worth considering in your case. The system is better, at least for our needs, than traditional boat calorifier.

Our shower has a large sink that simply acts as a hot water container. This has a dedicated 24v pump that draws water from the sink sending it to a conventional shower rose.

The technique is to pour hot water into the sink then add some cold until the shower water is exactly the desired temperature and use the inbuilt pump to shower with this water. It is a showering method that we have used for many years and it works very well on a boat. The water temperature is perfect without fiddling with tap settings otherwise it is exactly like a normal shower to use.

One of the benefits is the versatility. The water can be heated from any source or mixture of sources such as solar (a black container on deck), the Reflex diesel heater or the propane stove. In summer we have enough solar that the shower water is heated on an electric kettle. Alternatively, if we are running the engine, the alternator will power the electric kettle. In winter we keep a kettle on the Reflex heater. The temperature can be mixed so it is exactly correct and you can shower anytime even if the engine has not been run for several days. I am fussy about shower water temperature. Lukewarm showers in cold climates. Yuk. It is also possible to shower with different water from that stored in the main tank, which can be useful if there is ready supply of water of questionable quality.

This is photo of our shower. There are two shower roses, one conventional, and one that works as described above. The seat lifts to reveal 3 large sinks or laundry tubs. Two are conventional sinks mainly used for clothes washing. The third can be also be used as sink but its primary purpose is to hold the hot water for the shower system.
    Photo credit: Arthur Smeets

Edit: I see John the Kiwi has recomended a similar shower. Our system is basically a “built in” version of the system he is using. The shower pump, shower rose and “bucket” to hold the hot water in our case are all installed. The portable system John has described is a good way to see if you like the system.
    Last edited by noelex; 01-07-19 at 08:27.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234