Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 66
  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    54,654

    Default Re: Fuel Prices South of France

    Quote Originally Posted by Truro Ex Pat View Post
    No it was Antibes
    Which supplier?

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    SoF
    Posts
    9,457

    Default Re: Fuel Prices South of France

    Quote Originally Posted by Truro Ex Pat View Post
    I just took 700 litres at 1.429 from tanker, I spoke to the driver who was on my quay and then called the office and they sent him to me next which was just 30 mins after calling them so I would say much cheaper than the marina and great service, I am surprised how easy it was!
    That’s the same as our local supermarket
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

  3. #43
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,318

    Default Re: Fuel Prices South of France

    Well, we had four days out on the boat last week with friends; a couple of trips down to Moraira, a cruise north along the cost past Benidorm and another play around in the bay. A great time was had by all and we used 183 litres of fuel @ €1.26 a litre costing €231 in total. Further proof that....

    a) you don't need to use a load of fuel to have fun
    b) fuel really is an insignificant coast of running a 34ft 17 ear old motor boat (I doubt we'll use €2000 for the whole season)
    c) fuel is way cheaper in Spain than the SofF

  4. #44
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    54,654

    Default Re: Fuel Prices South of France

    b) fuel really is an insignificant coast of running a 34ft 17 ear old motor boat (I doubt we'll use €2000 for the whole season)
    Youre dead right about that. Fuel, even at SoF or Italian prices, is only a small element of the total cost of running a boat. Of course, the reason it gets so much attention is that we buy it regularly and we see the credit card receipt the instant we do buy it. The biggest cost of running a boat is usually the one nobody talks about - depreciation - especially on new or newer boats

  5. #45
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,318

    Default Re: Fuel Prices South of France

    Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Youre dead right about that. Fuel, even at SoF or Italian prices, is only a small element of the total cost of running a boat. Of course, the reason it gets so much attention is that we buy it regularly and we see the credit card receipt the instant we do buy it. The biggest cost of running a boat is usually the one nobody talks about - depreciation - especially on new or newer boats
    Actually Mike, our boat has been appreciating nicely since we bought it so it's not a cost that even registers with me (you see people asking £120k now for T34's - they were only £150k new).

  6. #46
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    54,654

    Default Re: Fuel Prices South of France

    Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Actually Mike, our boat has been appreciating nicely since we bought it so it's not a cost that even registers with me (you see people asking £120k now for T34's - they were only £150k new).
    I suspect thats an effect of the depreciation of Sterling and as they say, currencies go up as well as down. Apparently I'm sitting on an appreciation in value of my boat too, in Sterling terms, but it doesnt alter the fact that the first owner of my boat lost €1.3m on it (I have a copy of the original invoice). The other factor of course is that we seem to be at the end of a benign economic cycle and could be about to enter a global downturn and, just like in 2008-12, that is likely to depress used boat values. The hard evidence in my case is that I've bought and sold 13 boats over nearly 30yrs and only made a bit of money on one of them which is why I never use the word 'invest' when talking about buying boats. 'Waste' would be a better term

  7. #47
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,318

    Default Re: Fuel Prices South of France

    Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    I suspect thats an effect of the depreciation of Sterling and as they say, currencies go up as well as down. Apparently I'm sitting on an appreciation in value of my boat too, in Sterling terms, but it doesnt alter the fact that the first owner of my boat lost €1.3m on it (I have a copy of the original invoice). The other factor of course is that we seem to be at the end of a benign economic cycle and could be about to enter a global downturn and, just like in 2008-12, that is likely to depress used boat values. The hard evidence in my case is that I've bought and sold 13 boats over nearly 30yrs and only made a bit of money on one of them which is why I never use the word 'invest' when talking about buying boats. 'Waste' would be a better term
    A bit of a slump might present the perfect time to buy that San Lorenzo Mike.

    Perhaps Brexit will have a dividend after all!

  8. #48
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    54,654

    Default Re: Fuel Prices South of France

    Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    A bit of a slump might present the perfect time to buy that San Lorenzo Mike.
    Youre not wrong there! There were some cracking bargains around during the last downturn but of course you've got to sell your existing boat first. Just by way of example, when I bought my current F630, I was offered one of these https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2...ge-23-3526686/ at a price which was less than half of the asking price of this one. I looked at it and liked it but in the end I thought too big, too wacky but looks like I missed out big time

  9. #49
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,318

    Default Re: Fuel Prices South of France

    Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Youre not wrong there! There were some cracking bargains around during the last downturn but of course you've got to sell your existing boat first. Just by way of example, when I bought my current F630, I was offered one of these https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2...ge-23-3526686/ at a price which was less than half of the asking price of this one. I looked at it and liked it but in the end I thought too big, too wacky but looks like I missed out big time
    Yeah but it's always about price differential.

    That Mochi is a lovely thing Mike and for something a little whacky I think it will date well.

    Bring on the "no deal"!

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boat- Western Med
    Posts
    5,187

    Default Re: Fuel Prices South of France

    I’d say after the elected ,volunteered opted in ,but nobody likes talking about word depreciation, the next biggest cost in the W Med is berthing .No where near the losses on a new boat .

    For those who mitigated against deprecation opted out buying a boat with rarity calculated at the bottom of its dep curve then berthing is the biggest cost .

    I’ve been offered €60000 more than I paid for it with my boat and since only approx 21 built and the maker sold up and the integrity newer ones alleged lower than the older modals demand has firmed up in euro Med land for pre 2004 Itama .

    It’s a basic supply / demand thing .
    When the supply dries up or shrinks then with the same number of players in effect they are fighting for fewer boats available.

    I saw this with a Ferrari I bought when i lived in the UK .
    At its peek in production according to the DVLA approx 1300 where registered. 10 years later ( superseded as always btw ) by a newer modal there were only 700 .
    Most exported to other RHD countries like Malaysia , Australia etc .
    But the demand is still there blokes wanting one , fighting for fewer cars as out of production.
    No prizes in economics for figuring which residuals went .

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to