Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Fuel Prices South of France

Pete just to agree with you its more money in France but we do not do very many miles between ports, we have done 12 miles in 4 days and did 4 stops where as in Mallorca we would have done 100 miles to do 4 different marinas so I reckon its a cost saving as we are likely to stick between San Remo and St Tropez which I Think is not much more than 120 miles from one end to the other and that's season take care of, also because its a very short distance between marinas we tend to travel much slower as well which all adds up to less money spent, on average we do 3500 euros a year in fuel and around 8,000 to 16,000 euros on berths depending where we are so fuel is only part of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Truro Ex Pat View Post
    Pete just to agree with you its more money in France but we do not do very many miles between ports, we have done 12 miles in 4 days and did 4 stops where as in Mallorca we would have done 100 miles to do 4 different marinas so I reckon its a cost saving as we are likely to stick between San Remo and St Tropez which I Think is not much more than 120 miles from one end to the other and that's season take care of, also because its a very short distance between marinas we tend to travel much slower as well which all adds up to less money spent, on average we do 3500 euros a year in fuel and around 8,000 to 16,000 euros on berths depending where we are so fuel is only part of it!
    Absolutely, even at displacement speed a days travel in either direction can give you a lifetimes worth of playgrounds
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Man maths in all its glory. Love it

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Man maths in all its glory. Love it
    Indeed!

More importantly for me would be the availability of really good / cheap independent Volvo engineers (putting aside English brekkies and the price of a pint). Do these guys exist in the SofF?

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Indeed!

More importantly for me would be the availability of really good / cheap independent Volvo engineers (putting aside English brekkies and the price of a pint). Do these guys exist in the SofF?
    The words cheap and SoF simply dont go together

Yep, we've spent the past month or so pottering between ports and anchorages. I think the longest leg we have done is 16nm, and on average we've been doing about 9 knots. I think I've used around 800 litres and will add 500 tomorrow to cover our last 10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Indeed!

I use an independent engineer and it’s €70 an hour plus tax.

I have previously heard good things about the VP engineers in San Remo and their prices, but I haven’t tried them myself.

I figure that time and fuel of travelling to San Remo versus using my guy local to me tips the balance to staying local.

Quote Originally Posted by mcanderson View Post
    I use an independent engineer and it’s €70 an hour plus tax.
    Ouch, that's a lot, I'm used to paying less than half that.

I might be able to get cheaper, but he is good. Happy for me to buy the parts, happy for me to watch/get in the road when he is doing work for me. Most importantly he will come to my help when I need it. That last bit is worth more to me than trying to find another engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by mcanderson View Post
    I might be able to get cheaper, but he is good. Happy for me to buy the parts, happy for me to watch/get in the road when he is doing work for me. Most importantly he will come to my help when I need it. That last bit is worth more to me than trying to find another engineer.
    My guy does all that too (however he's still to fix an issue on my boat so I'm holding judgement for now)!

But I totally agree, you need the guys in the marina who are working flat out 7 days a week to keep everyone on the water. They can have a day off in the winter!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast