Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Clarke’s deck shoes

Has anyone used these deck shoes by Clarke’s?
    They feel comfortable when I tried them on. I’m thinking if they are grippy enough on deck?

Default Re: Clarke’s deck shoes

I've had several pairs over the years and they do OK. My current pair is about 5 years old, and the rubber's gone hard, so not so good now, but I doubt "proper" ones would have fared any better.

My test to distinguish between fashion deckies and sailing shoes is whether the lacing along the sides is part of the lace you do up or just decorative.
    Last edited by Stemar; 28-06-19 at 12:22.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

No link so not sure which shoes you mean. IME Clarke's dekkies have fabric lining which defeats the object of a deck shoe on a boat as they smell once they get wet with seawater.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

I've had a few pairs, you'd need to do a proper back to back test to get a true picture, but I'd say that they've been as good as any of the big brands (none were lined, all just plain leather). I'm currently modelling Canterburys though, as they seem to be noticeably lighter.
    Last edited by anoccasionalyachtsman; 28-06-19 at 13:11. Reason: How did that baker's apostrophe get in there? They must be catching...

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

I’ve got a couple of pairs, bought after someone on here posted about an offer of them at £35 a pair. I’ve found them comfortable and grippy on deck. And at that price, I’m not worried about longevity....

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    No link so not sure which shoes you mean. IME Clarke's dekkies have fabric lining which defeats the object of a deck shoe on a boat as they smell once they get wet with seawater.
    I’m not sure which model they are now. I will post the link later

A couple of years ago i read that Clarke’s make the deck shoes for Musto. (I think it was Musto, certainly one of the big yachting brands).

Don’t stand near the compass. Mine had a steel reinforcement in the sole.

Clarkes make quite a few different deck shoes, from cheapos to expensive items, but seem to have stopped doing the "technical" stuff (the trainer styles that Musto charge a fortune for). I've had a few pairs and they're as good as Musto to my mind - I found expensive ones also last 3-5 years just like the cheaper ones - the main thing the extra money seems to buy is comfort. I have one pair at the moment that cost about £60 in a sale that I wear as walking shoes as they are so comfortable - I can't wear them on a boat now as they've picked up a ton of grit in the sole. I've been told they are basically Musto's but don't know if that's true or not - quite believable to me though.

I have a couple of pairs, bought recently. They have spongy leather insoles and are not a moccasin type, so don’t have the shoe stitched through to the sole. That makes them more waterproof as the water can’t rise up through the stitching. Grippy enough. Comfy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast