Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Clarke’s deck shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    £235 vs £50 for the Clarks, made in Vietnam. Nearly five times the price. It's a useful reminder of the benefits we get from mass production techniques combined with third world wages.
    My last pair of mass produced deck shoes lasted six weeks. I've found no benefit of mass production techniques combined with third world wages! My Conker shoes are in their third year and are already paying for themselves, have at least another 10 years of use, fed somebody locally and can be repaired/soled at any time.

P.S. they also fit better.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

As mentioned above, in my ignorance, I work on the basis that, if the lace goes round the back of the shoe in one piece, it's probably a yottie job, if not, it's a fashion item. On that basis, a wander round Clarks the other day revealed no yottie stuff. Maybe the M&S sales will have some "proper" Blue Harbour yottie shoes.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    As mentioned above, in my ignorance, I work on the basis that, if the lace goes round the back of the shoe in one piece, it's probably a yottie job, if not, it's a fashion item. On that basis, a wander round Clarks the other day revealed no yottie stuff. Maybe the M&S sales will have some "proper" Blue Harbour yottie shoes.
    I look at the soles rather than the laces and have bought several pairs of Clarkes over the years and been pretty happy with them. They are hard to wear out just sailing but if , as I do, tend to wear your deckies as the default summer holiday wear as well then the razor cut on a soft sole (ideal for grip on a wet deck) quickly goes to pot.

I don’t use deck shoes on board any more. I love them, but I find I need socks or they are just impossibly uncomfortable and soon extra-smelly.

Instead, I use a pair of Hi-etc squash trainers. They are supremely comfortable and supportive, well-ventilated, have an extremely grippy, non-marking flat sole and wick away moisture, so dry very quickly as well. To cap it off, they cost a fraction of branded yotties.

Quote Originally Posted by KAL View Post
    I don’t use deck shoes on board any more. I love them, but I find I need socks or they are just impossibly uncomfortable and soon extra-smelly.

Instead, I use a pair of Hi-etc squash trainers. They are supremely comfortable and supportive, well-ventilated, have an extremely grippy, non-marking flat sole and wick away moisture, so dry very quickly as well. To cap it off, they cost a fraction of branded yotties.
    Now thats a sensible man, and best of all, they don't scream yottie

Quote Originally Posted by KAL View Post

They sound cold! I hate cold. Feet.

I have found Corrymore mohair socks solve lots of sock problems, but zing will cry at the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    They sound cold! I hate cold. Feet
    No no no! They are AMAZING on a night passage too. Very cosy and warm. However, even on a hot day, your feet never sweat in them due to the wicking.

Mine are a bit like these. The “classic” ones are even cheaper and are what I used to wear when I was a fencer, for much the same reasons: grip, flat non-marking sole, comfy, wicking.

The Totnesian shoes are out of my league, I’m afraid!
    Last edited by KAL; Yesterday at 23:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    They sound cold! I hate cold. Feet.

I have found Corrymore mohair socks solve lots of sock problems, but zing will cry at the price.
    Actually that’s something I could spend money on. I buy cashmere jumpers, which are good value to me. Are they the thick, heavy extra warm, walking sock type?

And a good Devon product to boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    Actually that’s something I could spend money on. I buy cashmere jumpers, which are good value to me. Are they the thick, heavy extra warm, walking sock type?
    I have to admit I am replacing my entire sock collection at the moment with their socks. That will keep me going for Christmas and birthdays for the next few years.

I have both the walking and short normal socks. So far I've only worn the short socks with shoes and sea boots but we are talking south coast sailing. Once I get past 60°N I am expecting it will be the walking socks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123